Chapter 28: True Feelings

"Do you ever wonder if it's all real?" I asked. "Everything that surrounds you, how you perceive it; is it all really there? Or are we just living in a dog's dream?" I adjusted my position in the hay, so my head was facing the unicorn's. He was laying down in his stable next to me. I laughed to myself. "What am I talking about? Don't listen to me. That's just something my older sister Emma tells me to freak me out."

I've been visiting the unicorn everyday after classes. It's been 5 days since Hagrid has taken me to see the unicorn. Just sitting here, and talking to the unicorn, is really comforting. I know it sounds weird, but I know that he is listening.

"I love my friends with all my heart, and they have helped me through so much... but it's nice to actually sit and talk for hours... you know?" I said as I twirled a piece of hay in my fingertips. "Most of the time it's me who's the quiet one, and listening to my friends talk. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it, at all. I know that they have a ton to get off of their chest, and I'm glad I'm the one they come to to vent. If they didn't, I'd be worried. But it's nice to have the role reversed for once." I stared into the unicorn's dark, sparkling eyes. I knew he was listening. I looked back at my piece of hay. "Who am I kidding, I've been talking your ear off for 5 days. You're probably tired of my voice." The horse sniffled, blowing puffs of air into my face.

"I could never be tired of your voice," I heard a warming voice say. I quickly sat up, and at the entrance of the stable, was Oliver. He walked forward, his long, and lean body towering over me. "In fact, I know four people who would love to hear your voice." He bent down and sat next to me, our knees touching, sending tingles down my spine.

"Four people?" I asked, confused. "Also, how'd you get down here? Nobody's allowed down here but me, Dumbledore, Hagrid, and Professor Kettleburn."

"Liz, Lyza, Alex... oh, and me! We have barely seen you lately," Oliver stressed, as he stared at me hard in the eyes.

"Don't dodge the question I asked you," I said.

"Don't dodge your friends," Oliver said, quietly.

"What do you mean?" I asked, worried, but angry at the same time.

"We haven't seen you for the past five days, except for in class. When class is over you don't even go to supper. You either stay with McGonagall for a few hours, and then you come here for as long as you can until curfew. What's going on with you, Melody?"

I stared down at the hay, wishing I could tell him why I was with McGonagall for so long. The lessons have begun, and it has been the most stressful thing I've ever had to endure. For coming down here... I guess I have so many excuses why. But I wasn't sure what to say to Oliver.

"Nothing... I just-"

"You just what?"

I could tell that he was angry, and I didn't want him to be angry. But anything I tell him right now he would not accept, unless he knew it was the absolute truth.

"I just want to be alone," I replied, quietly, making sure not to look at him in the face. Oliver stood up right away, which was out of character. He usually would have stayed sitting right there until he knew absolutely everything was okay.

"Fine," he said, as he began to walk out. "It just seems like you're hiding something important from me, and I don't understand why you won't tell me. Isn't that what couples are supposed to do? Tell each other everything?" I quickly stood up and ran over to Oliver. I placed my hands on his tense shoulders.

"I want to tell you, but I can't," I told him, hoping he would understand. "You will find out, though. I'm not sure when, but I promise you will know." Oliver turned around and looked at me, his nose red from the cold. He looked as if he was about to say something important, then turned away. He walked out of the stable.