Chapter 29: Heartbreak is Never Fun

I stood in silence in the Room of Requirement not sure what to do next. Oliver had just run out of the room after declaring his love for Clara, and to say I was shell-shocked was an understatement. I lifted my hand up to my face and wiped the single tear that stood on my cheek. Shoulders back and head forward, I walked out of the Room of Requirement not daring to look back. I didn't want to remember this moment. I don't want to remember the sweetness of the beginning, to the sourness of the end.

I didn't take any detours back to the Gryffindor common room. Classmates said hello to me, and I waved back and gave them a smile. I held that fake smile on my face like a shield. I finally made it to the Fat Lady portrait, and she stared at me, waiting for the password. I stood there, afraid that if I went in, I would see Oliver and Clara. I couldn't see either of their faces right now. I didn't want to see their faces ever again.

I said the password and the Fat Lady let me in. Head still looking forward with the shield on my face, I went straight to my dorm without seeing who was in the common room.

Liz, Lyza, and Alex all simultaneously turned their heads towards me as I walked into the room.

"What's wrong," Lyza instantly said, panic in her voice and on her face. Alex gave her a light shove.

"Why would something be wrong? She just had the best date of her life!" Alex enthusiastically said as she wrote in her journal.

"Nah, something is definitely wrong," Lyza insisted. "That is the fakest fucking smile I've ever seen on Melody." I made my way over to my dresser and took out some pajama pants and a t-shirt.

"No, everything went great!" I said, feeling my throat close up with sadness. "He made lobster, the Room of Requirement is real and looked so beautiful, and, he then confessed that he actually loved Clara! Everything is great." I slammed my dresser closed and turned around to see my three best friend's faces white as snow. "I'm sorry I'm being dramatic. I'm sorry. I make such a big deal about Oliver and shit and god- I don't know what to do anymore!" My clothes dropped to the ground as I covered my face with my hands. I dropped to the floor and I soon felt my friend's arms surrounding me.

I wanted the tears to come but they wouldn't. I sat there on the ground with my hands to my face, waiting for them.

"Want me to go talk to him?" Alex suggested. I gently pushed my friends off of me and we sat in a circle.

"For what?" I said, frustrated. "For what, Alex? He's already made up his mind!"

"This is out of character for him! Why would he... I don't understand- I'm talking to him." She began to stand up, but Liz put her hand on Alex's shoulder.

"Alex, please," I begged. "Just leave him alone. He's made his decision. It's done." Alex looked at Liz and Lyza. They both shook their heads. Alex sighed.

"I think right now we need to ask Melody what she wants out of us," Liz said. "Let's not assume." Alex rolled her eyes slightly.

"Yeah," Lyza agreed. "Melody, what do you want from us right now? What do you need?"

I smiled. I was so grateful that I had such wonderful and supportive friends. I wouldn't want them any other way. I sighed and gave a slight smile. "Right now, I just want to go to bed," I said as I started to pick at a loose string on the carpet. "I don't want to talk about it just yet if that's okay." Liz and Lyza nodded. Lyza put a hand on my shoulder and gave me a reassuring squeeze. Alex groaned and got up from her spot.

"If you don't want to talk then I guess yeah, let's just go to bed," she plopped herself in bed and rolled the blanket over her like a burrito. "Don't expect me to not say anything to Oliver though."