Chapter 18: Christmas Ball Part One

                It was finally time. The night of the ball. The whole day we’ve all had butterflies and daydreaming about what was going to happen tonight. We all have gotten yelled at, and threatened a few detentions because everybody would get out of line. But eventually, the professors just gave up and let us talk most of the class. Right when Liz, Lyza, Alex and I got back to the common room we all went and took showers. When we all came out Alex and I did Liz and Lyza’s makeup, they usually don’t wear makeup. Alex did mine and I did hers.

“No blush!” Alex screamed as I brought out pink blush. I slowly put it down. “Thank you,” she breathed. “I hate blush with a passion.”

 I did Lyza’s hair while Alex and Liz picked out jewelry and shoes to go with each of our dresses. Amelia finally wrote back to me and told me that she worked at a muggle fashion store while she worked on trying to find a job at a wizard clothing store. Our mom told her about the dance and we described our dresses so she sent a shipment of different accessories for us. Alex did Liz’s hair and then the twins both went and got their dresses on.

                “Honestly I couldn’t wait to do your hair tonight.” Alex told me as she scotched over to me on my bed. She took strands of my blonde hair and started doing her work. I laughed.

                “Why?” I asked her as I played with a loose string on my bed spread.

                “Because! You said you wanted Oliver’s breath taken away, and I’m your fairy god-friend tonight.” I smiled at her comment. I was lucky to have a best friend like Alex. She brought out the curling iron. “We’re gonna make you hair slightly wavier than it is. Almost curly.”

                “What about your hair? I’m sorry but I can usually only do my hair. And all I do is straighten it or put it in a side ponytail.”

                “It’s all good, I can do my own. Now shush and let me work!” She said as she continued to do my hair. Liz and Lyza came out looking spectacular in their dresses. They each twirled around causing me and Alex to giggle.

                “You guys look amazing.” I said trying to keep my head still so Alex could work.

                “We have to add the accessories and then we’ll look flawless.” Lyza said as the two of them began putting on jewelry.

                “Alright!” Alex said putting her hands down. I reached for the mirror to look. She snatched it away. “Nope! You’re not allowed to see the finishing project until the end. Now go get your dress on you muffin and I’ll start doing my hair.” I laughed and grabbed my dress from the closet. As I got dressed I started to get even more nervous than before. What if he’s more impressed by another girl and he goes off with her? What if he thinks I’m boring? What if- “Mel, stop fretting about tonight and come get your accessories on.” Alex said breaking me out of my thoughts. I looked over at her and put on a smile. She waved her hand motioning for me to come over. I walked over and sat down next to her on the floor. “Tonight’s going to be fine, I promise. I will make sure Wood takes good care of you.”

                “Thanks, it means a ton.” I said as she handed me a pair of earrings. She smiled and stood up to go change into her dress. I put on a pair of black heels, not too tall or else I’ll fall on my face and stood up. Liz and Lyza smiled at me. Alex came back and started putting on her accessories. “I wish I could see myself!” I said to Alex. She slipped on her heels and smiled at me.

                “In a second!” She said. I looked over at the twins. They both looked so beautiful. The color of Liz’s dress brought out her blue eyes. Her light blonde hair was put into a side bun with a silver fancy clip in it. Her eye makeup was white eye shadow, black eyeliner and mascara. She had on a medium pink blush, peach pink lipstick and her nails were painted the blue color of her dress. She had a silver, diamond encrusted (probably fake diamonds) bracelet and blue oval hanging earrings. Her shoes were open toed, and silver with a small heel.