Chapter 16

Me Too

"I'm not going,"

Gayoung muttered, her eyes welling up in tears as she hugged her pillow tightly. Yeona's gaze fell on the sight of Gayoung digging her nails into the pillow and sighed. She really wanted to hug Gayoung but she knew it would only make things worse.
She sat beside Gayoung, keeping a distance as she stared at Gayoung with an aching heart. She stared outside the bedroom window, seeing the sky slowly turning purple from the mix of the sunset ending and night approaching before looking down at both of their feet dangling from the bed.

"You have me,"

Yeona muttered, lifting up her head and staring at Gayoung. Gayoung's eyes that were once glistened with tears had teardrops gushing out from them. She sobbed hard as she covered her face, almost seeming embarrassed of her own pain.
Yeona felt her heart sting as she watched Gayoung cry, knowing she could only use her words to comfort. Then, she felt something in her pocket.  She dug her hands into her wool coat's pocket and took out a bracelet with beads of different shades of purple. She smiled. She placed it gently on the bed.

"Don't forget that you aren't alone. You have me. If you want, you can bring your pepper spray. However, I want you to know that I will protect you,"

Yeona said, facing Gayoung as Gayoung turned her head to look at Yeona. Yeona slowly lifted up her hands from the bed with her palms facing up. She put them forward, seemingly asking for Gayoung's consent to hold her hand. Gayoung, unsure, grasped loosely onto Yeona's hands. Yeona's grip tightened as she smiled at Gayoung and continued,

"because I love you."