Chapter 21

Your Eyes Tell

"Just give me five minutes!"

Gayoung's mother yelled as she headed over to one of the rooms in the vet clinic. Gayoung just sat on one of the seats, waiting for her mother when she received a message. A bit confused, she took out her phone and saw a message being sent from an unknown number

Gayoung: Who is this?

Hoseok: It's me, Hoseok!

Gayoung: Why are you texting me?

Gayoung's heart started racing as she stared at the screen with anticipation while Hoseok was still texting. In the background, she could hear her mother yell in absolute delight,

"Oh my! You should have booked an appointment! We have many patients today!"

She ignored her mother's yelling as she continued to wait for Hoseok's reply.

Hoseok: You look great today.

Gayoung: What? How can you tell?

Gayoung stared at her phone screen in confusion. How did he know she looked great today if he could not even see her? His message made no sense.

Hoseok: Look up.

Gayooung, furrowing her eyebrows and completely baffled, looked up to see a smiling Hoseok looking down at her as he wore his signature canary sneakers and his familiar heart-shaped smile. She felt her heart skip a beat.

She stared at Hoseok only to realise he was carrying a pet carrier with a dog inside. Her eyes lit up as she squatted on the floor to see the dog. A huge smile spread across her face as she waved to the dog with her eyes sparkling with joy.

"This is Mickey,"

Hoseok said with a wide smile across his face. He stared at Gayoung adoringly as he continued,

"He has cataracts, so I'm visiting your mother's vet clinic to try and improve his condition,"

Gayoung's smile immediately faded as she looked up at Hoseok with sad eyes filled with pity. Hoseok reached forward and patted her head, smiling brightly. Gayoung flinched a little but let him pat her.

"It's ok, though. Mickey seems less in pain than before,"

Hoseok muttered, staring into her eyes before looking away, placing the pet carrier down and squatting down beside Gayoung. They both looked at Mickey, smiling softly. All Mickey could do was stare back at them with his cloudy eyes. Hoseok and Gayoung turned to look at each other, making eye contact.

"How is he? Is his condition improving?"

"A bit, not a noticeable amount, but your Mom said that Mickey is gradually improving. I came here to get his medicine,"

Gayoung stared in Hoseok's eyes, unable to pull away. Hoseok stared into her eyes, also unable to pull away. Something made them gravitate towards each other. Maybe it was the forced smile on their faces that tried to mask the sadness in their eyes, maybe it was because they both knew that they were both in pain.