Chapter 38

I'll Be By Your Side

"That'll be $13.40,"

The cashier muttered as Yeona tapped her card. However, after countless tries, the cashier still said the same thing.

"I don't think you have sufficient money in your credit card,"

Yeona just let out a groan of frustration and tapped it again only to hear a beep.

"Need a hand?"

Yeona heard. She flinched and immediately turned around and saw Gayoung behind her smiling. Yeona just ignored Gayoung and tried tapping the card again. However, she heard the same beep and before she could say anything, Gayoung had tapped her card.

"Thanks, I guess,"

Yeona muttered, her eyes glued to the ground as she picked up the plastic bag filled with her groceries. Her head hung low and she walked out of the grocery store with Gayoung by her side. Gayoung hesitated but said,

"Look, Hoseok isn't the guy you think he is-"

"Are you seriously still sticking up for him? Don't talk to me, especially not after what happened,"

"I know we've only met a few months ago but he seriously cares for me. He knows what happened and he was willing to help me. That's why I'm learning to let go. You should too,"

Yeona turned her head to look at Gayoung, glaring at her with tear-filled eyes.

*trigger warning*

"Let go? You want me to let go after I saw what happened to you? I saw you lying on the cold hard floor in the alleyway, naked. Your dress was ripped apart as if some dog had eaten you up. You were covered with bruises and bleeding badly and you expect me to let it go?"

Yeona exclaimed, tears trickling down her face as she tried to suppress more of the tears from flowing down. Gayoung started tearing up but continued,

"Look, you can't torture yourself because of this incident. It's not any of our fault it happened and we shouldn't lock ourselves up in a cage and isolate ourselves. Instead, we should search for people we trust to surround ourselves with,"

"I'll try, I guess,"

Yeona muttered quietly, wiping her tears away.

"Don't worry, I'll be by your side. I'll never leave you,"

Instead of thanking Gayoung, Yeona let out a sarcastic laugh.

"How do you expect me not to fall for you when you say these things?"

She muttered, walking away from Gayoung.