Chapter 20

Trust

"Really? I had no idea!"

Gayoung exclaimed, giggling as Hoseok just nodded with a smile. Yeona felt an irrational surge of rage in her veins as she clenched her fist tightly. She was losing her best friend to a guy she had met only weeks ago. Was Hoseok becoming more important to Gayoung than their friendship? 
Slamming her fist on the table out of rage, she stood up from her seat. She panted heavily out of fury and caused both Hoseok and Gayoung to flinch. They looked over at her, concerned. However, she hung her head low and muttered softly,

"I've got to go,"

Yeona immediately rushed out of the ice cream shop, leaving both Gayoung and Hoseok alone at the ice cream shop, incredibly confused. 

"Well, I guess we should get going,"

Hoseok said, smiling as he stood up and took out his wallet. Unintentionally, Gayoung stretched her arm out to stop him from getting his wallet out. They both froze as they stared at her hand grabbing his. Her body tensed up as she immediately let go of him. Her face burned red as her gaze dropped low.

"Sorry- I-I can pay,"

Gayoung muttered, rushing up to the cashier only to realise how long the queue was. Hoseok stood beside her as he took out his wallet. They both kept quiet, feeling awkward and tense as they waited for their turn.
However, when Hoseok stole a quick glance at Gayoung, he saw her body shrivelled up like a dried leaf. Her gaze was quivering as her back was hunched. She was picking on the purple bracelet she had on her wrist as her fist clenched tightly.
Her breathing started quickening as she squirmed closer to Hoseok. She bit on her lips nervously as her gaze shifted around. Hoseok furrowed his eyebrows as he realised she was looking at the person behind her. He took a step back and stood behind her. Then, he leaned closed to her and whispered,

"Was he making you uncomfortable?"

Gayoung nodded as her body immediately loosened up. She felt at peace once again. Somehow, Hoseok seemed to give her comfort that no one else could. With him behind her, despite them only meeting a few weeks ago, she felt comfortable. She trusted him.