𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 31: 𝓓𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓻𝓬𝓮

May 29, 1972

Milan, Confederation of Italian Kingdoms

"Now presiding, Empress Josephine of America!" The Italian herald announced.

Two massive oak doors opened and I entered Vittorio's throne room. Vittorio himself was slouched on his throne, surrounded by guards and servants. Unlike my palace which was modern and well built, his was medieval, lit by sconces and candles on the wall.

"Josephine! Welcome, my dear!"

"Non è italiana?" One of his accomplices said.

"Non," He replied.

"Vittorio," I addressed coldly.

"Have you come to apologize for your... outburst... seven months ago?"

This guy has some serious nerves.

"No Vittorio, I came to give you something,"

"Oh! A gift, fantastic!"

Maybe not for you, but it is for me. The gift of freedom. I nodded to my guard who had accompanied me, and he stepped forward. My eyes fell on the gun holstered on his belt. He approached the throne and his tall muscular stature clearly threatened Vittorio. He held out a folder with the Imperial seal on it.

"A handwritten apology?" He asked, becoming slightly suspicious in his tone.

He opened the folder and his eyes widened, then sank as he read through it.

"Vostra maestà, cos'è?" His accomplice asked, trying to understand his king's reaction.

"Cazzo di documenti per il divorzio," He muttered, seething, "Fottutta puttana,"

I knew whatever he was saying, it wasn't good. His accomplice glanced at me, eyeing me up and down. I was not wearing traditional feminine wear, which I knew would cause a racket, if Vittorio was such a stickler to gender roles like he had hinted, he would not like this.

"Sigaretta," He said.

A servant stepped forward and put a cigarette in Vittorio's mouth. Then he cupped it and lit it. I struggled to hide my sneer. I hated cigarettes, cigars, whatever in that arena. They disgusted me and they were a disgusting habit. I had debated with myself to institute a ban on cigarettes. But I knew it would end up just like my grandmother's famous 1925 Prohibition Bill, in which she banned alcohol. As I have made clear, I enjoy drinking a lot, and so do the American people, so it fell apart and a period of lawlessness took over the Empire.

"Please, Vittorio, save us all a lot of hassle and just sign it," I said in exasperation, shaking my head.

"Josephine, why would I sign these... ridiculous papers? Your arguments are ludicrous!" Vittorio charged, his voice rising.

"La tua, maesta di tono," His accomplice said.

"SILENZIO!!!" Vittorio boomed.

It was not hard to translate that. I never knew Vittorio could have such a tone.

"Vittorio, my arguments are not ludicrous, they are based on one fact-I am not happy being married to you. We never speak, ever, you have never sent a letter once since you became King of Italy, never phone, I've seen you in the flesh twice and both times were to ridicule my people and myself, I do not, will not imprison myself in this toxic relationship any longer!"

Vittorio stared forward, his eyes never leaving mine. He could tell I wasn't backing down, and he was concocting a response in his mind. He turned to the accomplice and nodded to the lighter as he puffed out smoke. He approached his king, who snatched the lighter out of his hand. He lit up a flame and placed it under the corner of the packet of papers. It caught and within a moment, it was floating towards the floor, in flames, embers flying aimlessly about. My eyes flickered with the fire in my eyes, matching my horrified expression. Vittorio's grin grew with the pit of dread in my abdomen.

"You... shall never leave me, Josephine... Guards! Arrest her!"

Wait what!? He can't do that! It will cause an international scandal and outrage!

Two Italian royal guards stepped forward to seize me, but the guard next to me drew his gun and took aim.

"Don't step forward any further unless you want this to end in blood," He said.

"You might want to hold off," The Italians said, surprised by his willingness to resist.

"Yeah?" He clicked it into place, "Why?"

"Shedding blood in King Vittorio's realm will surely cause international outrage," They pleaded.

"And arresting my sovereign on your king's behalf for fallacious charges will have the same effect," The guard replied smoothly, without skipping a beat.

His loyalty was unwavering and charming.

Vittorio just... sat there, his grin equally as unwavering. But then it was like he had a moral realization.

"What am I doing!?" He cried out, "Guards back down at once!"

He jumped from the throne and dashed forward as the guards broke rank and stepped aside. My guard kept his aim trained until I waved my hand, silently ordering him to stand down.

"Josephine I am so sorry, I have just realized what horrible crime I was about to do! I have treated you like waste like you were disposable, and there are absolutely no excuses for my behavior,"

Great, he's pulling his chump card. Acting like he is so sorry and blah blah blah.

"Josephine, I love you, I really do, and if you'll give me just one more chance I promise you, I will shower you will love and affection, I'll write, I'll call I'll visit more, please, I beg of you, to forgive me and let me show you what a good man I actually am!" He pleaded.

Now he was on one knee, with these stupid puppy-dog eyes.

"Ffffff...fine," I muttered.

"Oh thank god!"

He began repeatedly kissing my hand, and suddenly, I didn't feel like this was a chump card, or in the terms of that one billionaire, a 'trump card'.

I think he really meant all that... but... time will tell and reveal the truth, no matter how ugly it is.