𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 48: 𝓐 𝓝𝓮𝔀 𝓒𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓼

June 17, 1974

Imperial Capital, New York, First American Empire

The car I was riding in rolled to a clean stop outside the palace. After well over a year and a half, I was finally home. I had in total honesty forgotten what the palace looked like. It truly marveled me by its incredible appearance, and I could not wait a moment longer to be back.

"Thank you, driver," I commented to the man in the front seat.

He merely tipped his hat and stepped out to open the door. I grabbed my two bags from next to me as he opened the door. I climbed out into the warm sun of New York and took a deep breath. I thanked the driver with three coins in a discreet handshake and turned and quickly walked up the steps where the two guards immediately opened the massive doors. When I walked in I found nothing.

Absolutely nothing at all. No one was there, it was dead quiet, not even a distant footstep. Very odd, even for a palace as absolutely massive as mine. 

"Hello? Is anyone here? Anyone!?" I called out into the barren palace.

"Your majesty!?"

I saw someone round a corner and speed towards me. As he approached I recognized his face as Samuel Palmerston, my Prime Minister.

"Ah, if it isn't Sam Palmerston, what a kind face to see upon my return," I replied.

When he reached me he bowed stiffly.

"Your majesty I am glad you have returned finally!" He exclaimed, "We are all waiting by your throne!"

How nice! They all were waiting for me, I guess I was meant to find them myself and be surprised, but this was just as nice. I followed Palmerston down the hall towards the throne room, where now I saw dozens upon dozens of noblemen, women and even some children. I recognized some of them, but most of them had grown up and looked so different than before. They all began to clap and cheer in unison.

"Welcome back your majesty!"

"Her majesty is back!"

They all parted ways for me and Sam Palmerston took my bags for me as I strolled over towards my throne. I think I've gotten a few inches taller in the past eighteen months because it was easier to actually get on the throne. I was never the tallest girl, a gene on the female side of the family and I even needed some help once. Probably didn't help my situation as the new sovereign.

"Thank you, everyone, I was not expecting such a warm welcome!"

"Of course your majesty!" Lord Humberto said with a conniving smile, "Why wouldn't we be excited to see our adoring sovereign?"

Oh Lord Humberto, if only you knew what I knew. What you had been up to while I had been away, it's going to come back to bite you in the rear. 

"Your majesty, do you have any large events planned for the near future?" Another nobleman asked.

"Yes actually, I can safely assure myself that you know of the grand discharge ceremony tomorrow?"

I had ordered such a ceremony to give the veterans of this terrible war retribution and the credit they so deserved. Not just to the men who fought their way through the Marshlands alongside me, but all six million men who fought and survived. Not to mention the other seven million who did not survive. They deserved recognition as much as those who lived. My goal was to prevent these brave men from being forgotten, like those who fought in the Great War.

"Discharge ceremony?" He asked, his eyebrow curved up.

Oh good lord. I sent out notice of it a week ago! The soldiers knew! Why didn't these lazy little-