𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 64: 𝓕𝓪𝓬𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓜𝔂 𝓕𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓼

October 25, 1979

Rome, Most Serene Roman Republic

 It had been almost a month since our visit to Liege and boy the things we had seen. We had travelled all over the Holy Roman Empire, Hanover and Denmark. Frankfurt, Cologne, Bremen, Wilhelmshaven.

We got to see the gorgeous Royal Danish Fleet in Kiel. The Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. Old Saxon castles, Bavarian ruins and a battlefield near Stuttgart from the Third World War, where French and troops of the Kingdom of Wurttemberg clashed in one of the most decisive battles of the war. It forced Napoleon the Fifth to retreat from Germany. Twas the moment that the French Empire began to fall.

Moving on, we went to Vienna where we stayed for a couple of days with Konrad Senior and Junior. Then we spent a day in Trieste, on the cool Adriatic beaches. From there we flew to Rome.

This was going to be the climax of our trip. Where I'd be confronting the biggest demon of mine. The Sacking of Rome. For twelve years those nightmares had haunted me, finally I was confronting it.

Mattéo completely supported what I was going to do today. This plan had been in collaboration with Samuel Rebole's Egyptian government. He had recently centralized his authority, banning all political parties and expanding the duties of the police and military. He wanted the Pope out of Alexandria as soon as possible. So we compromised and my part of our agreement was coming up.

Mattéo and I looked around Rome just before I was to speak to a massive crowd. The city was a shadow of its former self. Almost all of the ancient wonders were gone, with no trace left behind. Rome seemed just like any other city in the world. It made me sad to be honest, knowing I was the one who reduced it to such a melancholy state.

I looked at my husband as I prepared to speak at Saint Peter's Basilica, it was where the Roman government had authorized us to stay and I had chosen to speak here as it held a massive resemblance to the old way of life in Rome.

"Are you sure you're ready to do this Josey?"

I released the breath I had been holding in and nodded.

"Yes, yes I am,"

"Then go out there and knock their socks off!"

I smiled and walked forward, opened the door and stepped out in front of the huge crowd that had gathered to see me speak.

I hadn't come to Rome. Not once since I sacked it.

The crowd went quiet as I collected my thoughts.

"You can do this Josephine... you can do this!"

I cleared my throat and began to speak.

"Good afternoon people of Rome! It has been a long time since I have been in your great city..."

"When I last came to Rome in 1967 I was an impulsive little girl... the awful things I did to this city would make my mother clap her hands in joy..."

"I have been unable to live with my choice to sack the city all those years ago, unable to fight back my cowardice to stand up and take responsibility for those actions,"

I began to settle down and began to talk more clearly, now that I was actually doing it.

"But finally I am willing to do what is right... visit the place that has haunted my dreams for those twelve years... I was a coward even in the aftermath! I couldn't bear to govern you myself so I installed a puppet regime to do it for me!"

"I am here to return Rome back to the way it was before the sacking... my husband Mattéo and I have set up a fund channel to rebuild Rome to her former glory, make those who call themselves Roman be proud to live here again!"

"But... that is not all..."

Okay Josephine, here is the biggest part of the plan.

"The Roman Republic was a mistake, a physical repercussion of my sins... the Senate... all of it... was a mistake... that is why by the end of October of the year of our lord 1979, the Roman Republic will be dissolved and the Papal States will become the governing body of this land once again!"

Massive cheers erupted from the crowd.

"I also call for the exiled and shamed Pope Saul the Twelfth to return from exile in Egypt, and this time... I will be here to apologize for my actions... repent to the lord above..."

The cheers grew louder.

"But then I ask for a request from you fine people..."

The crowd quickly hushed again.

"That you all forgive me and my people for the horrors we wrought upon yours... that perhaps one day the people of America and the Papacy can be friends again..."

Then I noticed something borderline magical. One by one, the crowd raised their hands, with their middle and index fingers raised.

It was an old tradition. A sign of peace without using words.

Tears welled up in my eyes but I quickly wiped them away.

"Thank you all of you good people," I whispered into the microphone, still in awe over the fact that the crowd had forgiven me.

I guess the pope held a much better role than I thought. I turned and walked back into the Basilica where Mattéo had his arms outstretched. I hugged him tightly.

"How did I do Mattéo?"

"You did absolutely incredible! I'm so proud of you!"

We stayed like that for another minute or two before someone rushed in.

"Your majesty, imperial highness!"

We broke our embrace to see our Roman travel guide.

"Yes?"

"There is breaking news from Paris your majesty,"

He paused before speaking.

"There's been a coup... the Bonapartes are back,"