𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 47: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓢𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓭𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓟𝓮𝓪𝓬𝓮

June 03, 1974

Donkin Courthouse, Nova Scotia, Maritime Republic

What was left of my army, 140 men to be exact marched up to the farmhouse where Governor Marvin Gouth and I were meeting to discuss the final surrender of the last rebelling republic, the Maritime Republic. No blood had been shed here, as a day after we crossed the border he had contacted me via an envoy about surrendering. I was beyond joyous, after four whole years, the war was finally ending in my land. I had made a personal oath to never go to war ever again, never to send young men to die for an Imperial struggle again. I rode atop my new horse, 'Spartan', though he wasn't the same as Valentine. When I reached the farmhouse, my soldiers behind me, Gouth stood on the porch, looking distraught. Like with the Quebecois governor, who was currently in a New York jail awaiting trial for inciting revolution against the Empire, his mission was over and he was upset. Gouth also knew he would be tried for inciting insurrection, and that charge could easily result in the death sentence, but he was still willing to accept responsibility and surrender. I climbed down off of Spartan, and one of the soldiers took him to watch him. I walked up the creaky steps where I stood face to face with Gouth.

"Governor Gouth, it is a pleasure to finally meet you face to face," I said and I extended my hand.

"Please your majesty, call me Marvin, and likewise... please, come in!" He replied.

He motioned for me to enter first and I did. I entered the farmhouse, where the living room had been set up for us to meet. It was cozy and I settled into one of the chairs. Gouth did the same opposite of me.

"Well then... I suppose that we should start right away," Gouth said, "What are your terms?"

I waved my hand over to one of the soldiers. He held up the rolled-up piece of paper which only my eyes had seen thus far. I had written these demands and no one was to see them other than I until now. He handed the roll of paper to me and I handed it to Gouth. He unraveled it and his eyes marveled at the demands.

"Your majesty... these terms... they are very lenient," He sputtered.

He must've been expecting me to slam down on him, especially on Quebec, and West Canada. He was after all signing the official peace treaty.

"May I read them out loud your majesty?"

I nodded, allowing him to read them to his generals and advisors who had accompanied them. He cleared his throat and began to recite what was written.

"All Canadians refer to themselves as Americans, All Canadians accept Imperial occupation for 20 years while the region is rebuilt. All Rebels may return home with firearms that they own. Firearms owned by the republics must be abandoned. All Rebels may keep their horses. Any Rebels that refuse to comply will be executed as traitors," He said.

The advisors and generals mumbled to themselves in surprise. I had clearly caught them off guard with my sympathetic terms.

"Your majesty, I don't know about my compatriots, but these terms... they would be stupid not to accept, I assume that if we were to not, they would gradually get harsher and harsher?"

"You would be correct Marvin, it would be wise to accept them," I said.

Come on, just sign the darned paper and end this already!

"What do you think, my friends?" He asked his advisors.

"Marvin... this is the best-case scenario, we are all getting tried for treason, but we must allow our people to be treated fairly,"

"And also... if the terms were to get harsher, would the average man accept Imperial rule?"

"True... alright! Hand me a pen, let's end this ridiculous war!" He exclaimed.

He laid the paper out on the table as a pen arrived in his hand. He brought his hand down to the line where he needed to sign but he hesitated.

Before he signed his name and rolled up the paper. He handed it back to me and I handed it back to the soldier who went out to announce the news to my army. Gouth and I stood up, followed by the rest of Gouth's advisors.

He silently walked out of the farmhouse and I trailed behind, just as quietly. We exited the farmhouse and the low June heat hit my skin, not something I was used to. I had to pause due to the growing cramp in my stomach. I had been feeling the aches and pains for weeks, though I had ignored it for those weeks. When the feeling temporarily subsided I took a deep breath and stepped onto the grassy front yard where Gouth was waiting.

"Thank you for meeting with me your majesty," Gouth said.

"No, thank you, Marvin, for you are the one who ended this war," I replied.

He sniffled and wiped his eyes before raising his hands into the air. A soldier went over, took his hands, and gently handcuffed him, before bringing him away. The remaining men cheered and shouted.

"JOSEPHINE! JOSEPHINE! JOSEPHINE!"

"Stop! Now is the time for reconciliation!" I ordered.

But the men didn't listen, they were too joyous and happy, and I couldn't blame them.

"JOSEPHINE! JOSEPHINE! JOSEPHINE!"

They continued to cheer my name, and I felt a massive weight leave my chest, now that this war was over, I could return home. I could see Vittorio again, see my friends in the nobility, have my child.

"JOSEPHINE! JOSEPHINE! JOSEPHINE!!!"