𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 69: 𝓢𝓮𝓮𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓜𝔂 𝓑𝓪𝓫𝔂

A.N: Ha ha ha funny number! Nice!

---------------------------------------------------

February 20, 1980

"Look at me Mattéo..." I said as we looked into a mirror.

Today was my first ultrasound. The first time I'd see my baby. I was fifteen weeks along now, just about to go into the second trimester.

I was also a nervous wreck. What if something had gone wrong? What if... I had miscarried again?

Nonsense Josephine! You haven't gone... horseback riding in years. You haven't been in any accidents!

"You look beautiful my dear..." Mattéo whispered, looking longingly at me.

"Thank you Mattéo... will you say the same when my stomach is as big as a beachball?"

"Of course I will!"

I smiled and touched my stomach. I was just starting to show now, just a small bulge in my normally petite frame. I had dressed warmly, and casually as the doctor said to wear casual clothing. No dresses either, which was a bit of change.

Sweatpants and a tee shirt. Mattéo had to order that made for me as I never would have worn that ever before. I didn't even think something like what is on my body now existed!

"Are you ready Josey?" He asked, turning to face me directly.

"Yes... let's go see our baby..."

------------------------------------------------------

The doctor led us into one of the hospital exam rooms that had been set up for the pregnancy.

"Doctor are you sure this is safe? This won't harm the baby?" I asked.

I had been pestering the obstetrician for almost the entire appointment with questions. But Doctor Simmons had been extremely patient.

"Yes your majesty, don't worry I've been doing ultrasounds for almost ten years!"

I took a deep breath as Mattéo helped me up onto the bed.

"Okay... I just need to relax..."

He squeezed my hand as the doctor rolled out the gear for the ultrasound.

"Are you ready, your majesty?"

I nodded.

"First I'm just going to use the stethoscope to pick up a heartbeat, okay?"

I nodded and the doctor pulled up part of my shirt and placed her stethoscope onto my stomach.

She felt around and a smile formed on her lips.

"There we go... I've got a heartbeat for your little bun!"

Mattéo and I smiled at each other and I relaxed, knowing that the baby was safe.

Then the doctor's smile dropped and she continued to flip and flop.

"Doctor? Is something wrong?"

"No... I'm hearing a very fast heartbeat..."

Fast? Oh no... what does that mean? High blood pressure? Stress? 

What? I read plenty of medical journals ahead of this moment. 

Mattéo caught on to something but didn't say anything. The doctor frowned and nodded at Mattéo. Okay, they are both in on something. I'm starting to freak out... I can't lose another baby! Not again!

"Whoa Josey, don't panic, nothing's wrong..." Mattéo whispered in my ear as the doctor got out the ultrasound gel.

I calmed down a little, but not a lot. Nothing's wrong!? A million things could be wrong!

"Your majesty, I'm going to need you to pull up your shirt,"

I nodded and pulled up my shirt just enough for her to apply the gel, it felt cold and I jerked for a second.

"Don't worry your majesty, it is very cold,"

"You don't have to tell me that!" I seethed.

Mattéo chuckled from next to me.

"What are you laughing at!?" I snapped and he shut up and looked at Doctor Simmons.

"Perfectly natural," The doctor mouthed and I chose to ignore it.

She grabbed the probe from the nearby table and looked at us.

"Ready to see your baby majesties?"

I nodded. Mattéo nodded. The doctor placed the probe on my stomach and the images on the screen began to flicker.

"Here we go..."

As she moved the probe along I began to hear the faint sound of a heartbeat.

Closer and closer, the heartbeat grew louder, and then I heard the heartbeat that was pounding fast, and also sounded uneven, the one the doctor mentioned earlier. Oh god, I'm so scared!

Then... I saw them.

Two tiny babies, curled up into a ball, sleeping soundly. Twins. I was having twins. Never in a million years would I have expected that. Never... My hand covered my mouth as tears formed in my eyes. Those were my babies... my children.

"They're so tiny..."

"Mm-hm, a little bit smaller than average, have you been eating enough your majesty?"

"Enough for one little bun, not two!"

"I'd recommend you double your consumption, it will keep both your little ones well-nourished and allow them to grow as normal, alright?"

I nodded, my eyes never leaving the screen.

They were both probably only as big as a navel orange. So tiny... so perfect. One of them stretched out their arms and it made my heart thump wildly in my chest. My parents hadn't had this opportunity to see me or Johnny as this technology was only invented in the 60s. 

My children weren't even born yet and I already loved them. They were so tiny, so helpless. I knew they depended on me to survive. I was going to use everything in my power to bring my babies into this world.

Even if I died trying... I'd produce an heir to my throne, I'd give Mattéo children and Victoria siblings. They already deserve the world. I just couldn't believe I was lucky enough to be their mother.