𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 50: 𝓐 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓘𝓷 𝓒𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼𝓮

January 13, 1975

New York, First American Empire

Vittorio lied

He lied about always being there. 

He lied about being my number one supporter. 

I hadn't seen my husband in four months. He had visited recently, but before that, there was a three-month stretch where he was nowhere to be seen. Total phone silence, total letter silence. Nothing at all. Those were symptoms of one thing, and unlike my miscarriage, I knew what it was: A failing marriage. I knew things were declining at a rather alarming rate and along with that, I had become rather depressed, though I had quickly become a master at hiding it in court and from the nobility. I had also learned how much one girl can drink before it became blatantly clear that she was drunk. The answer was three tall glasses of wine, and I really stretched that number to its limits.

At this particular moment, as I was reading a request for a bill I was sipping on a glass of wine. It was a petition for blind people to have greater autonomy in career choices. It was people on the more left side of the belief spectrum arguing for this. Over a hundred years ago, under John Charles IV's administration, a survey to find out which beliefs people held was created on a left to right system. People on the left tended to be more libertarian, and people on the right tended to be more... what's the term I'm looking for... conservative! That's it! Conservative Americans supported Traditionalists while libertarians tended to follow more... radical ideologies. Dead ideologies to be more specific. Democracy, Communism, Fascism, or generally anti-monarchical the further left you went. I tended to clash with them more as they were more... rebellious to the status quo.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. They were demanding that blind people should have a wider variety of job opportunities. See, this type of thing exposes their stupidity. What? So a blind man will be able to operate a forklift or throw a football? Please, their current options prevent them from getting easily hurt or confused. I didn't hesitate when I picked up the red stamp and pressed it down on the paper. I folded it up and placed it aside for later. I picked up the next one, but it was far more interesting.

Petition for America to become a constitutional monarchy

We are not anti-monarchy-not by any means. We love her majesty Josephine, but we the people of our humble group feel as though we are undervalued and underrepresented in our great society. We put a kind foot forward and present the first copy of our petition, with 17,000 signatures and growing to transfer America from a dying age of absolutism to a brighter age of constitutionalism. All we ask for is a constitution for her majesty to abide by as well as the rest of the nobility, and at most a Senate to govern some affairs, one where the people may elect representatives, not the government. We hope that our wishes will not fall on deaf ears...

-Matthew Sompton, President of the Society of Republican Monarchists

I placed down the sheet of paper, and I was consumed in deep thought. 17,000 is a lot... not compared to the grand scheme of 215 million, but at the same time, this idea is growing. But for some reason, I was not alarmed by the prospect of giving up some of my powers. I could see a massive load lift off my dainty shoulders without having 600 documents to sign every single day. I need to get a second perspective on this idea. I quickly called using the telephone for a nobleman, any nobleman. For some reason, I felt I alone could not make this decision.

Three minutes later, Lord Maxwell entered my office.

"What can I assist you with your majesty?"

"Lord Maxwell, in my usual stack of letters, bills, petitions, and whatnot I found one that really got me thinking... tell me what your think of this,"

I handed the letter from Mr. Sompton to Lord Maxwell. As he read his eyes showed confusion then outrage. Maxwell was a staunch Conservative, not a Traditionalist but one that held the firm belief over my Mandate from Heaven and my God-given right to govern this Empire.

"This is treasonous, your majesty! We need to send the Army to find and neutralize this group before they threaten your position!"

"Now hold it just a moment Lord Maxwell... these people ask kindly for change, they are not rioting... we do not know how much of the population supports this idea... I feel a referendum is in order,"

"A referendum!? Your majesty, forgive my brash words but are you out of your mind!?"

"Lord Maxwell!" I exclaimed, "I did not ask you here to insult me, but rather to get a second person's thoughts on this issue!"

"I'm sorry your majesty, I just feel very strongly that you should not do anything to give up your power,"

I nodded, understanding his emotional and political beliefs. 

"Do you remember what happened last time we ignored a group's pleas'?"

He sighed.

"The Revolution,"

"Exactly, now do you think it would be wise to at least address this issue to the public, let them decide?"

"I know my power can't hold a candle to you your majesty and if you feel that a referendum would be the best course of action, then I will support it, your majesty,"

--------------------------

January 27, 1975

-------------------------

It had been two weeks since I first ordered the Constitution Referendum, and I was slightly worried about the results. If a majority voted in favor of a constitutional amendment then my power would be significantly reduced. I wasn't worried over such a prospect, but I wouldn't be upset if the majority voted against the idea. I felt that given my extreme amount of power, that it was in my best interest to let the people know I was willing to listen to their pleas and to answer them as best I could. It was my duty as their sovereign to do that at least. I sat on the throne with a large gathering of nobles in front of me. We were all waiting for the results and the attitude was a mix of fear and excitement. The Traditionalists were fearing the potential destruction of the monarchy, Conservatives had a similar attitude and I could see Libertarians were eagerly awaiting the news. Finally, Lord Maxwell, who had insisted on delivering the results stepped forward with a transcript in his hands.

"Attention everyone! The results for the Constitutional Amendment referendum and Her Majesties' Approval vote have arrived!"

The entire room silenced themselves. Maxwell cleared his throat and announced the results:

"56 percent of Americans voted against a constitutional amendment! 42 percent of voters supported the idea! 2 percent of voters were indifferent!"

Traditionalists and Conservatives who tended to clash on most issues celebrated their victory. I tend to align myself as more Conservative though I should be unaligned completely. So I was a little happy.

"Now as for the approval rating of Her Majesty Josephine!"

Once again the nobles hushed. This one was far more important than the other referendum.

"Of the 97% of voter turnout, 92 percent of voters adore her majesty, Josephine! 5 percent were displeased with Her Majesties' performance since 1965! Most voters against Her Majesty identified as Libertarian whilst most other voters were Conservative!"

Now the whole room, minus the Libertarians erupted in applause.

"Congratulations Your Majesty!" They cheered.

For once, a small glimmer of happiness and hope-filled my mind. But I realized that the number of people who support absolutism was far smaller than I previously thought. It looks like some change might be in store.