𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 9: 𝓐𝓷 𝓔𝔁𝓹𝓵𝓸𝓼𝓲𝓿𝓮 𝓕𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓽𝓱 𝓸𝓯 𝓙𝓾𝓵𝔂

July 04, 1965

I put down my hair straightener on my vanity and slipped my dress shirt over my shoulders. It was the fourth of July and I was preparing for the annual motorcade. Every year, my mother, father, and as of recently, John Francis and I would ride through the streets of New York, past cheering crowds waving American flags and singing our national anthem, America the Invincible Empire. It was a very nationalistic and patriotic day in America.

I don't know much about the average American, as I've only been allowed to leave the palace on select occasions. My mother and father say it is to 'preserve my royal image' and keep the monarchy 'mysterious'. I find that a bunch of rubbish, but what do I know? My parents are far smarter than I am and do know what is best for me. I use these rare occasions when I'm out and about with the people to study them, see who my people are, what they like, and what they do.

But one of the best parts for me is because I am a young adult now, I don't need to wear a frilly dress! My parents had to reaffirm to me that I wasn't a full-fledged adult, I was still very much under their thumb. I just had greater freedoms than those younger than me, such as dressing how I want. So I chose a white dress shirt with royal blue jeans and a red jacket. It sounds casual, but I want to dress like the common folk, to show that we are not so different. That's my plan at least. I buttoned the last button on my shirt and slid my jacket over my back.

I ran and gently closed the door to my bedroom. I walked fast through the marble hallways, past the giant portraits of America's greatest leaders. This time, I barely acknowledged them. I had long gotten over the fact that I would never sit on the throne. Besides, John Francis was a good kid. He was already speaking in full sentences and he had just turned two, three months ago. Again though, my mother is in good health, so he'll be in his thirties when the time comes. By then we'll probably both be married and have kids. I'll be out adventuring, having no reason to stay in New York.

I shook my head and jogged down the stairs to the main level. The motorcade was all ready and my parents and brother were also ready. My mother was dressed in a regal white dress with a red sash and my father and brother were dressed in nearly identical suits and ties. Uh oh. I'm probably about to be verbally slaughtered for my casual apparel.

"Josephine! There you are!" My father said exasperated.

"You sound stressed," I replied, cocking my eyebrow.

"Most certainly. The guards are moving to take cover to protect us and they are bickering amongst themselves again," My father shook his fists in frustration.

I giggled at his rage. The Royal Guards tend to argue constantly, except for when it came to protecting us. Sometimes I eavesdrop on them, whether is be the correct way to hold their rifle, correct way to patrol, which genre of music was the best, or which member of the royal family was their favorite to guard.

I am proud to say that I am one of the more common answers to that last question. They say its my calm, gentle demeanor, my kindness and brisk authoritarianism that makes me pleasant. Johnny was a close second, but they say its because of how easy he is. 

"Stop fooling around you Dummköpfe!!!" My father snapped. 

My mother, unlike me wasn't fluent in German so she was unaware of what he had said. Because I know German, I know precisely what he said, and it made me giggle like an idiot. 

Then my gigglish expression faded upon meeting my mother's disgusted eyes.

"You're wearing that?" she growled.

I cringed at her tone, it surprised me but at the same time it didn't. This in her eyes was a rebellion against her authority, something that when I was granted greater rights and freedoms I wasn't supposed to do. I wasn't trying to be rebellious and I didn't want my newfound power to be stripped away. But if I didn't play my cards right that is exactly what would happen.