𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 58: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓘𝓷𝓿𝓲𝓽𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷

May 18, 1979

"Bloody hell..." I muttered to myself as I read over a document.

Those Catholic zealots over in California want me to abolish the Jewish faith! We already banned Islam in the 1960s after the Levant War! If I listen to those idiots again, soon they'll be asking to ban Lutheranism!

I stamped the red 'VETO' sticker on the documented request and set it aside. I picked up the next doc out of the seemingly endless stack. But before I could read it, an aide knocked on the door.

"Your majesty?"

"Enter,"

The young aide entered.

"What can I do for you?" I asked, looking up.

"Your majesty, you have just received a letter from someone,"

"Do you know who?"

"No, I did not open it your majesty,"

"Let me see it then you may be dismissed,"

She handed the letter to me, curtsied then left the office. I picked up the letter opener and carefully opened it then removed the paper inside it.

Dearest Majesty,

My name is Arnold Wellman, one of the many soldiers you commanded in the Quebecois Marshlands. I am writing to you on behalf of my friends. We are hosting a five year reunion at Donkin Courthouse in a couple days, and we would be honored if you could join us. I know you are a very busy girl, but I wanted to formally extend an invitation to you. It isn't a black tie event, but it isn't a hoedown!

(As you can tell, I myself is from Tejas)

We would be greatly appreciative if you could come.

-Cordially, Arnold Wellman

I folded the letter neatly. A reunion with my soldiers? Well, former soldiers at least, but that sounds quite enjoyable. I think I will attend this event! But I must clear this with my schedulers first...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your majesty, you want to go on a trip to Donkin Courthouse? Why?" Lord Humberto asked.

"This is why milord," I replied, handing him the letter.

His eyes scanned over it briefly.

"A reunion? Interesting... well I of course could not stop you..."

"Would you advise I not go Lord?"

"No, no! These men are highly loyal, having fought for the Empire, but we will need to quickly organize travel plans? Is there any preferred method?"

"I would like to take a train, that would be rather relaxing,"

He nodded and wrote this down.

"What about the princess? Will she be travelling with you?"

"Absolutely not! This reunion is bound to have alcohol I don't want such a little girl being around that,"

"Of course your majesty, how could I not think of that? Well then, I'm assuming you will be departing on the day of?"

"Probably, but it will have to be day of if I do,"

"Alright your majesty, I will get these arrangements in order!"

Humberto bowed and dismissed himself, leaving me to return to the endless paperwork.

----------------------------------------------------

The following morning, I stood in the palace foyer, a small bag in my right hand. I was about ready to leave, but I needed to say goodbye to someone.

"Mama! Wait, don't go yet!"

"Oh sweetheart, I would never dream of leaving you without saying goodbye!"

Victoria leaped into my arms and wrapped her little arms around me.

"How long will you be gone, mama?"

"Only a day, I'll be back by this time tomorrow,"

"Unless of course her majesty decided to have some fun while she's gone!" Humberto said teasingly.

I turned beet red in anger when he said that.

"Did you really just say that in front of a nine-year-old?" I hissed in his general direction.

"What would you be doing that would be fun mama? Could I join?"

Trondheim, Humberto, and a few other noblemen exploded in laughter, some doubling over.

God these men are so immature. Humberto's wife Margaret slapped his arm.

"Good lord I need a drink!" Humberto cried out as tears spilled out of his eyes.

Tears of joy and laughter. I was not happy, even though I knew it was a joke.

"Well, I must be going!"

"Ah, of course, your majesty!"

"Safe travels your majesty!"

"Bye, Mama!" Victoria called out and she waved.

I smiled to myself as guards escorted me out to the waiting car that would take me to the train station.