𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 38: 𝓐𝓷 𝓤𝓷𝓵𝓲𝓴𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓐𝓵𝓵𝔂

July 04, 1973

Val-d'Or, Quebec

When we had reached the isolated town of Val-d'Or, deep in the Marshlands, we were exhausted. The rebels hadn't destroyed the town so we were hoping to establish a supply depot so supplies could regularly support us. We had engaged the enemy several times throughout the campaign thus far and a popular slogan had developed amongst the men, as a sort of warning cry:

"They're in the trees!"

It helped save dozens of men already in the minor skirmishes we engaged in. So far the rebels hadn't dared to engage us in a true battle but instead chose to harass us during every waking moment. 

"Civilization!" A soldier shouted.

I sighed in relief. There had been nothing, no towns, villages, or anything for days on end. Just trees with french speaking rebels hiding like cowards.

"Americans!" A voice from the village yelled.

I tensed up and made Valentine stop at the town gate. I reached to my thigh where my handgun was holstered as usual. The soldiers readied their weapons, preparing to fight their way through the village if it came to it.

"We accept you into our town! Enter! Enter!" The voice exclaimed again, in very broken English.

My suspicion grew more and more as he spoke. Why would a village this deep in the rebel backcountry just throw their arms up and surrender? It seems... fishy. An old man stepped out in front of the gate, clearly unarmed.

"Please! Come in!" He waved us on.

"How do we know you're not luring us into a trap?" I asked, calling out to the man.

"No rebels here! Rebels gone for good! We threw them out!"

The old man waved wildly trying to make his point across, clearly believing we didn't understand him, but I did loud and clear. I had heard rumors of a counter-insurgency in the backcountry and that there were Imperial sympathizers deep in the sporadic villages in the Marshlands. Looks like the rumors were true, at least to me. I made Valentine trot forward, her horseshoes clopping on the pressed dirt road. The men began to march again, the deafening sounds of their advance resuming. I rode Valentine through the gate where villagers began to cheer. My soldiers fanned out throughout the village as townspeople gave them bread and freshwater, something they desperately needed. But again, the villagers might feel taken for granted. Which is something we desperately did not need.

"Is that her majesty?" One villager, a young girl asked.

I tried to ignore them, focusing my attention on my soldiers, seeing if they were getting out of line with the food and drink they were being provided.

"Your majesty, please come down from your horse," She said.

I looked at them closely. The girl was maybe fourteen years old, her companion, partner maybe... though he was a similar age. I decided, very reluctantly, to climb down off Valentine's back. I waved over a soldier who took Valentine and herded her away. The villagers did have a stable of horses, so it was safe to assume that was where they were taking her. I matted my overcoat, pressing it with my hands to smooth out the fabric. I was not entirely comfortable being here. I wasn't sure if I could fully trust these villagers. For all we knew, rebels could be hiding in the houses, waiting to spring out and slaughter us. 

The young girl and her companion bowed and curtsied, respectably.

"It really is an honor to meet you, your majesty," The girl said.