𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 41: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓒𝓮𝓵𝓮𝓫𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷

September 16, 1973

Fort Rupert, Quebec

A new day dawned over Fort Rupert and it was a great day indeed. We had achieved a smashing victory over the rebels. At least 16,000 rebels lay dead and 600 of our men. It may seem like a lot, but we still had 3,000 of the original 4,000 men capable of combat.

I had gained even more than that too. A rebel prisoner was now my spy, who would give us information, hopefully, information of value. The Quebecois governor was nowhere to be seen, so it is likely that he escaped with the tattered remains of his army. But it was nowhere near the size as before, so it was not nearly as large of a threat as it was before. So we could breathe easy a little more.

I had given my men a great reward for their valor: We were setting up camp for three days, and the troops were allowed to do as they pleased as long as it didn't violate human decency of course. They were trading with the villagers, for food and basic supplies. With the capture of Fort Rupert came the capture of Waskaganish Airport, where supplies were already being flown in from Montreal to help us in our continuous advance north. Our casualties would probably slow down now and our numbers would be more preserved. While we were waiting for those supplies which would consist of food, ammunition, and medical needs. This would refurbish our ragged army and help us strike the final nail in the rebellion's coffin.

At least I hoped...

I stood atop a large boulder where my navy blue coat fluttered in the strong breeze along with my brown hair. I stared out at the Hudson Bay, with a grin on my face. This achievement was something I was proud of. Standing here, I was one of the first American nobility to be here and the natives were not sure how to react to my presence. They at first feared we would pillage the small town and kill all their inhabitants. I felt bad that I had to assure them that I wasn't a bad person and that they were perfectly safe with my soldiers. My soldiers were not like the ones in Anatolia and China, I could never imagine being responsible for indiscriminately slaughtering innocent people, it just... the thought of it makes me sick.

My mother's face entered my thoughts and I quickly shoved them away. No matter what I did, I could never completely sever my mental connection with my mother, she was a part of me, one of my inner demons, I suppose. I took in a deep breath, my lungs filling with fresh salty air from the bay. I quickly relaxed mentally and settled into my mini-vacation, or into the attitude at least.

----------------------------------------------

Later that day

----------------------------------------------

I placed the quill down on the sheet of paper and began to write.

Dearest Vittorio,

I hope you are doing well. This is the first time I have ever been able to write. I am currently in Fort Rupert, a small town on the Hudson Bay. Word will leak out over an incredible victory, and I truly believe that I'll be back by Christmas. I've been making sure to be careful, not thrusting myself into the thick of battle, so hopefully, you can rest easy now. I miss you so much, and I feel guilty about the last time we spoke, we did not separate on good terms and I hope you still care about me as much as before. I doubt I'll be able to get a response from you before I depart from Fort Rupert... but I will hope.

Love, 

Josephine

I hesitated on the last line but kept it anyway. I was not going to lie twice in my letter to my husband. I had already fibbed like a little child about the way I commanded the troops, I would not lie in my language. Because in truth, I did love Vittorio, I really did, and I thought he knew that by now.