𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 71: 𝓞𝓾𝓻 𝓑𝓪𝓫𝔂 𝓢𝓱𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻

July 9, 1980

Today was our baby shower. Leaders from all over the world would be visiting us to congratulate us, give us gifts and advice. Mattéo was beyond enthused as he was hoping to get some advice on how to be a father from some of the kings.

Going back to the babies, they were due in just over a month and a half. August 23rd. I was now so swollen that I pretty much waddled down the halls at this point. I had to wear these massive maternity dresses that help to do anything but make me feel fat.

To be honest, I was a bit terrified of giving birth. I was worried about dying during birth or one or both of them dying during birth.

I knew these fears were totally irrational but it didn't stop me from fearing the worst. After all, I'm four foot eleven and way no more than 50 kilograms. I'm a very light girl so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to physically handle giving birth. But, despite my stature and height I am NOT a dwarf! God I hate when people call me that, whether its met as a good-natured jab or a backwards insult. I am not a dwarf... dwarves are an inch shorter than me, and I make sure people know it. 

"Your majesty, your guests are starting to arrive, may I escort you to the ballroom?" A guard asked.

He stood in my doorway.

"Yes, of course, I should not keep them waiting,"

I followed the guard out and he walked slower than normal so he didn't go very far ahead of me. After all, I was basically hobbling down the hall, trying not to fall. The guard guided me down from one of the guest rooms. At this point, I was so pregnant that I couldn't go downstairs and so I had to sleep down on the main floor.

When we reached the ballroom the guard let me walk myself into the room, filled with guests who applauded and cheered for me.

"There's the woman of the hour!" Mattéo shouted before striding over to me, "Hello my dear," He kissed my cheek.

"I still can't believe you made me do this, I look like a bloody whale," I snapped.

"You are the most beautiful whale ever then!" He replied.

Steadily, our guests lined up to give us their gifts. We said we'd be opening them later but I still chose to greet them.

"Your majesty," King Constantine the Second of Greece said before kissing my hand.

"Constantine, thank you for coming,"

"Of course your majesty it was my honor,"

Constantine stepped away and the next man that approached I didn't recognize.

"Greetings your majesty, I am Prince Hamzah of Bosnia,"

Bosnia? Oh, I forgot that was even a state! Nestled in between Konrad's realm and Greece... the fact that this little principality survived was a mystery to us all. 

"Well thank you... your highness?"

I wasn't sure what to call him. He was the Bosnian sovereign, yet only a prince.

"Please Hamzah is fine,"

The next guest approached. Emperor Sato of Japan.

"Sato my friend,"

Sato kissed my hand, and for the first time in almost two decades, my heart didn't pound wildly. Perhaps now that I'm married to Mattéo, my crush on Sato is evaporating day by day. I do wonder what would've been if I had taken his hand in marriage all those years ago... oh but that isn't important.