Chapter 1

-Third person POV-

A father and his 4 year old daughter were running on the stairs, away from the Underground.
"Eleanor, sweetheart. I need to go away for a while. A long while... but the people inside here will take care of you" said the father.

"Daddy? Where are you going?" the girl asked.
"I need to go back. It's not safe for you in the Underground. But you'll be safe here" he said and the girl hugged him and cried.

"Please, don't go" she cried.
He pushed her away and dried her tears. "Don't cry, Nora. Here" he said and gave her a self-made bracelet, made from brown strings, woven in a beautiful pattern. "Promise me that you'll always wear this. That way, when you get older. I'll always be able to recognise you"

He kissed her forehead and started to walk away.
"Daddy! Dad!" the girl cried, but her father kept walking away, not turning around.

The girl didn't go inside the orphanage, she kept sitting outside, getting drenched in the rain. Hoping that her father would come back for her.

"Hey, little girl. Why are you sitting outside in the rain?" asked a lady, the lady sat down next to her. She noticed the strange appearance of the girl. Dark grey hair and dull blue eyes.

"My dad, he's gone" she said and hugged her knees.
"Oh you poor child" the lady said and laid a blanket around the girl. "It's so you don't get sick" she said and smiled.
The girl touched her bracelet, the one she promised that she would always wear.
"What's your name?" asked the lady.
The girl thought about the question. "Nora" she answered eventually.

"Nice to meet you Nora. My name is Marie Sato" the lady smiled. "Would you like to come with me? Get you something to eat?"
Nora looked in the lady's eyes, she didn't sense any false intentions. So she nodded. Marie held out her hand to Nora, and Nora grabbed it.

-5 years later-
"Nora! Your grandfather is here!" shouted Marie.
Marie had adopted Nora as her own daughter. Her husband had died a few months before that, so she gave Nora her husband's last name.

"Where is my little grey angel?" Nora heard her grandfather shout.
"Grandpa Dot!" she shouted and jumped in his arms.

"You have grown a little bit again" he laughed and lifted her.
"Are you going to teach me chess again? Mom! Can he teach me chess again?" she asked happily.

"Of course" said Marie, but she soon began to cough.
"Marie? Is it still not better?" he asked.
Marie shook her head.
"Nora, would you be so kind to get some warm water for your mother? We can play chess later" said Dot Pyxis.

Nora nodded and ran to the kitchen.
"I'm getting a doctor. You're not well" said Dot to his daughter.
"I already went, father. There's nothing they can do. I only have a few weeks left. And I don't want Nora to know yet. Her birthday is next week, she deserves a happy day" said Marie.
"Nora is smart, you know she won't fall for that" said Dot and Marie chuckled.
"You're right, my little girl sure is smart" said Marie and sat down. "Father, please. Take good care of her after I'm gone. She already lost her father, she needs her family"

"I will, I promise" said Dot.
"Here's the warm water mom. Are you feeling better?" asked Nora when she walked back into the living room.

"Yes, sweetie. I just didn't sleep well" said Marie and ruffled Nora's hair. But Nora felt nervous, and she touched the bracelet her father had given her the day he left. Just as promised, she never took it off.

"So, what does the little angel want to do for her tenth birthday?" asked Dot Pyxis to his granddaughter. After he helped his daughter to her bed, he played chess with Nora.
"I want to spend it with you and Mom. What we do doesn't really matter" she answered.

"Doesn't really matter? When did you grow up?" he said and laughed.
"I'm almost ten now, grandpa Dot" she said and laughed.

But the happiness didn't last long. A week after Nora's tenth birthday, Nora found her mother dead in bed.
She immeadiatly ran to her grandfather's headquarters. The moment he saw his granddaughter, he knew what had happened.
She stared in front of her for days after the funeral, playing with the bracelet around her wrist.
"Nora, do you want to play chess?" asked her grandfather after a week.
She looked at him and nodded slowly. She had to move on. She walked hand in hand with her grandfather to their home.

And then, a month later... Wall Maria fell...
She lived with her grandfather in Wall Rose, so they were safe. But she watched the streets fill with refugees from Wall Maria. She saw kids her own age, she heard the stories about the Colossal and the Armoured Titan. She had heard about the Titans from her mother and grandfather. They were the reason they were living inside walls.
After that day, she decided. She would become a soldier, to help the people. To protect her family.