Chapter 54

-Nora POV-

"Niccolo's acting strange?" I asked.
"Yeah, he started calling us devils again" said Jean. "I thought we had gotten past that point"
Armin touched my shoulder and I looked him in the eyes.

He guided me out of the room to talk.
"What happened?" he asked.
"I saw Reiner and 2 of the other Titan shifters" I said and he looked surprised. "We can't tell Hanji or anyone else yet. Right now, they're on the same side. They want what we want. To stop Eren and Zeke from meeting. They could help us"

"Do you trust them?" he asked and I sighed.
"I think, for this... we can trust them" I said and Armin hugged me.
"Okay, I won't tell them. I think you're right" he said and I hugged him back.
But then we hear fighting in the room next door so we went to take a look.

We saw Niccolo holding Falco and Gabi was on the ground...
"What's going on in here?" asked Armin.
"Hanji! Get over here!" I shouted.

"Heh? What is it?" asked Hanji.
They all came over and saw the situation.
"That's the kid who shot Sasha" said Jean.
"Niccolo, let Falco go. He's hurt" I said and saw that Falco was bleeding.

"Stay away from me!" shouted Niccolo and held the knife against Falco, who was still unconscious... "I'm just going to avenge Sasha. That's all I want!"
"Stop" said Gabi. "Leave Falco out of this, please"

"What? Is this brat someone special to you? Is that why he tried to protect you earlier?" said Niccolo. "You care about him, heh? Well I used to care about someone too! A dirt blooded Eldian! A descendant of devils! The woman who enjoyed the food I cooked more than anyone that I had met before, she saved me from this shitty ass pointless war. She showed me that the person I meant to be is a man who brings people happiness through his cooking. That was Sasha Braus, she was amazing. And you stole her from me!"

"I've lost people too!" shouted Gabi. "Your Sasha Braus shot 2 friends of mine! She gunned them both down as they were protecting their home! So that is why I took revenge on her! She was the one who started it!"

"Shut the hell up!" shouted Niccolo. "Who cares how it started?"
"Wake up! Open your eyes! You're supposed to be a Marleyan soldier!" shouted Gabi. "That she-devil must've bewitched you somehow! Fight! Don't let the devils win!"

"Alright, Niccolo" said Mr. Braus. "Give me that knife"
Gabi froze... Niccolo gave Mr. Braus the knife and he walked closer to Gabi.
"Listen, Mr. Braus" said Hanji. "This isn't right, please drop the knife, or maybe just set it down"

"I raised Sasha to be self-sufficient" said Mr. Braus. "I taught her how to use a bow when she was young, before long she got good enough to hunt for food in our forest. It was our way of life and we didn't want to give it up. But after Maria fell, I knew we'd have to change with the times and let the old ways die. So I sent Sasha to join civilisation. Then the world just kept getting bigger, so Sasha left our forest and our island behind to fight some distant enemy. Shoot folks and get shot. The thing is, she left our forest. But it turns out she just traded it for a bigger one" he gave the knife to his wife who laid it on the table. "The same rule 'kill or be killed' still applied. I recon Sasha died, as she wandered in that forest for too long. We've got to get the children out of that forest. At the very least, or there's nothing stopping this from happening again and again"

"Please, Niccolo" said Mrs. Braus. "We need you to let Ben go now"
Niccolo released Falco slowly to the ground and Mr. Braus and Mrs. Braus did first aid, while Jean and Connie detained Niccolo.

I went to Gabi and touched her face. "Show me your wounds, Gabi" I said.
"Mia" said Mr. Braus. "You're okay, aren't you?"
"I don't understand" said Gabi. "Do you really not hate me?"