Chapter 35

-Nora POV-

The next morning we rode out to the training facilities, where we would find Shadis.
"Shadis was the 12th Commander of the Scout Regiment and Commander Erwin predecessor. It's been a long while since I've seen him" said Hange when we rode out.

"This place sure brings back memories..." I said, I thought back to our cadet days. To our fallen friends, friends that betrayed us, friends that became family.

We sat down in his office, well... all of us except Sasha.
"What's the matter, Braus? Not gonna sit?" asked Shadis.
"No! I'm quite fine standing here, sir!" she shouted.

"Let's see, if I recall. Back in the day I'd call you in here a lot. When I was about to chew you out, especially you Sato. Still have a problem with authority?" he asked.
"Yes, sure do. And it's Ackerman now, sir" I said.

"Really? I see" he said. "It's only been a handful of months and yet I barely recognise you kids"
"So, Commander Shadis, or wait, Commandant now" said Hange. "We should be prepping to recapture Wall Maria. But, tell me. Why do you suppose we came to speak with you instead?"

Shadis looked straight at Eren. "Eren, you look like your mother in almost every way. However, the daggers I see within your eyes, those are your fathers" he said.

"Tell me about him" said Eren and stood up. "Tell me everything you know"
"I don't know much at all, not in the grand scheme of things. That said, I'll tell you a story that has no value to humanity what so ever. The story of my past, as nothing but a bystander" said Shadis and he began his story...

The story was about how he met Eren's father outside of the wall, how he failed as a Commander of the Scouts, because he wasn't special. How he saw Grisha taking Eren away the day the wall fell. And finding Eren alone in the forest, carrying him back to Mikasa and Armin.

"So that's it? I see" said Eren.
"At least now I know the real reason you chose resign" said Hange. "Not to atone for all the soldiers you got killed. But because you realised you were not a special snowflake, just a delusional self-centred child"

"Lay off him, Hange" said dad.
"You had no right to keep all of this to yourself. Just to spare your own ego. Repledge to give our lives and our hearts for the good of mankind!" shouted Hange and saluted.

"Please let it go, Commander" said Eren. "The Commandant was right. Just like him, I was never special. Looks like, I was just the son of a man who was. That's all there is to it"

"After I yelled at your mother, this is what your mother said back. Why should anyone have to be special? That isn't the way I like to look at things, and when it comes to my child, I don't care if he grows up to be great. My son doesn't have to be better than anyone. I think Eren's special enough already. For no other reason that he was born into this world" he said.
After he was done, we left to prepare for the mission to retake wall Maria.

-The night before the mission-

Before we were allowed to eat, they told us about the syringe. How it could bring someone back from the brink of death. That it could be used after we captured and separated the limbs of an intelligent Titan. My father was going to be the one who kept it with him, since he had the highest survival chance. He was going to choose who it should be used on.

After the announcement, the food was served. And it was... it was meat...
"This may be a special night, but we don't need the public knowing our plans. So behave like the disciplined soldiers you are!" shouted an officer.

"What, no way" said Conny. "Is that? It is... It's meat"
"Am I dreaming?" asked Sasha.

"Alright! Here's to the retaking of Wall Maria! A toast!" shouted the man, but he got interrupted by the yelling. Everyone attacked the meat.