Chapter 30

-Nora POV-

Something was bothering me.
“Dad, who’s Kenny Ackerman?” I asked.

“He’s better known as Kenny the Ripper. He’s the one who raised me when I was a kid. When I lived in the Underground, I’ll tell you about him some other time. But right now, he’s our biggest obstacle” said dad. “In terms of his threat level, it’s like you’ll be fighting me. Or wait, with those weapons of his, he’ll be stronger”

“Then he’s unbeatable, at least for us” said Sasha.
“Maybe we should wait and meet up with other soldiers” said Conny.
“No chance in hell” said Mikasa.

“Right, of course not” said Conny. “If we wait for reinforcements, then Eren might get eaten”
“You know, based on what the Captain just told us. The odds won’t be entirely in Kenny’s favour” said Armin.

“You really think so?” asked Jean.
“Yeah, his squad is well trained, but we have way more combat experience” said Armin.
“I have to ask. How is it that you lived with Kenny the Ripper but know next to nothing about him? Did the two of you never talk?” asked Hange.

“Not much” said dad. “I only just learned the man’s last name” he looked at Mikasa. “Don’t know if you heard, but it’s Ackerman. Maybe a relative of yours”

“I remember my parents saying that my dad’s side, the Ackerman’s, were persecuted when they lived in the cities. My mom said her ancestors were eastern. Her family’s appearance made it difficult for them to fit in. Both groups were chased deep into the mountains at the edge of the Walls. That’s how my parents met. But my father never told me why the Ackerman’s were persecuted. He looked the same as all of you, so I don’t think he was of a different race” told Mikasa.

“Tell me this, have you ever suddenly felt a power awaken inside you?” asked dad, both Mikasa and I looked up.
‘I have had that, when the cadet killers came after me and Armin…’

“I have” said Mikasa.
“This has happened for Kenny Ackerman as well. Suddenly, out of nowhere he felt an absurd amount of strength flow through him and in that moment he knew just what he needed to do. And it has happened to me too” he looked at me. “And judging by your reaction, Elly. It happened to you too. Makes me wonder”

~

We arrived at the chapel, looking for a way underground.
“Found it” I said and they all came to me.
“Reiss and Eren should be inside” said Hange. “Hopefully the lay-out is close to what I predicted”

“These presents better pay off” said dad. We had made some little bombs that should create a lot of smoke. “Considering the time we spent prepping them”

“Okay, we should be ready to go now” said Armin.
“Alright then. Is everyone here ready? Because you’re all about to dirty your hands” said dad. We all stayed silent. “Guess that’s a yes”

He stamped the door in and we made the barrels roll down.
We ran outside and Sasha fired an fire arrow into one of the barrels.
“Here they come!” I heard one shout.
We all moved out, having Armin shout signal flares around, clouding their vision even more.

“35 total! In the upper parts of the pillars!” shouted dad. “Continue the plan! We’ll take them all out right here!”

“Everyone, scatter!” the female shouted. “Let them spread out and surround them!”
2 of them were close to me. I went to them and before they could react, I killed them instantly.

Thanks to Armin we know their weaknesses.
The anker points in the same direction of the gun, so once fired, the gun can’t be aimed again. So, when they’re moving, they’re venerable for attacks from behind.
I moved on to the next people. I used their other weakness.

Once they fire twice with the gun, they have to reload. I slit their throats.
“Damn, those girls are fast” I heard one say before Mikasa killed him.
My dad went after the leader, but I saw someone coming after him.

“Dad! Behind you!” I screamed and he moved behind a pillar just in time.
“Really, Eleanor? Did you have to tell him! I don’t exactly have time to waste on you two!” shouted the man, it must’ve been Kenny. He looked familiar, really familiar. ‘How does he know my real name?’

“I just can’t have you get any further” he said and I hid behind a pillar before he could shoot at me.
“Nora! Take care of the others!” shouted dad and I went far away from Kenny.

I took care of the other ones, killing one after the other.
But the female leader used her anchor to take down Hange.
“Hange!” I screamed.

The ones who were left followed the female leader and Kenny.
I went down to Hange and looked at her shoulder. I managed to stop the bleeding a bit.
“It’s nothing fatal, she should be fine once she gets medical attention” I told my dad.

“Good, Armin, Moblit. You two carry Hange. Let’s follow them” he said.
We came upon the point where they had used a net to barricade themselves.

I looked up and noticed that there was a little hole, patched up with wood.
Suddenly we saw light.
“That light, damn it” said dad.
“Eren!” shouted Mikasa.
The wind was heavy, it was hard to stay in place.
“Hey guys, this place is about to collapse” said Sasha.
“Captain!” shouted Armin and we all looked behind us. “It opened up!” he pointed at the hole.

“Okay! Armin, Moblit. You two take Hange and find a way out of here!” shouted dad.
We managed to get to the other side and saw Eren tied up. Historia fell backwards because of the wind. A gigantic Titan was appearing…

I caught her before she hit her head.
“Nora!” she shouted.
“Give me the keys!” shouted dad and Historia gave them.

Together with Jean and Conny he slowly unlocked the chains that were keeping Eren in place.
“Just leave me here! Hurry up and escape!” shouted Eren.
“Stop whining, you half naked weirdo!” shouted Jean.

“Wow, it’s even bigger than the Colossal Titan” said Sasha.
The Titan was reaching the ceiling. “The ceiling! Look out!” shouted Mikasa.

“Get back!” shouted dad.
We stood with our backs against the wall.
“Damn it! We’ll be buried alive!” shouted Jean.
Dad grabbed my hand and held it tight.

Eren began to cry and sat down. “Sorry, I can’t! This power should’ve never been given to me. I can’t be humanities hope, I’m just too weak”
“Come on, stop playing the tragic hero” said Jean. “Of course you’re too weak to accomplish jack by yourself. But no one expects you to”

“Yeah, calm down. We’ve been through a whole lot worse than this man” said Conny.
“Not that I really want to get used to it!” shouted Sasha.

“Still, it’s gonna suck trying to fly through that mess” I said.
“I’ll take Eren” said Mikasa.
“It’s gonna take all that we have not to get hit. So hold on for your life” said Jean to Historia.

“Right” she said.
“It’s useless. You know we won’t make it” said Eren.
“So we should do nothing? Wanna sit here, hold hands until we’re crushed? Or until we burn to death? You know dying here won’t make anything better!” shouted Historia.

“Listen” said dad. “I really hate that I do this to you all the time. But, you’ve got to make a choice here”

Suddenly Eren began to ran towards the Titan and yelled. He transformed and began to make a barrier from hardened Titan skin.
“Come on! Get under Eren!” shouted dad and he pulled me with him.