Chapter 34

-Nora POV-

It has been two months since Historia's coronation.
My dad and I had legally changed our names to Ackerman. Even my grandfather was happy about it.

Eren finally began to use his hardening better, creating a new fighting style. Even creating a new way to fight the Titans without causing casualties. The Executioner from Hell, called Hange it. But, all these experiments began to take a toll on Eren.

My father helped Historia with bringing children from the Underground, above ground in an orphanage. Doing what he wanted, he did so that children like me could have a chance.

I stood on the farm where the kids were brought. Historia was playing with them, making me smile and laugh.

"Nice palace" said Jean.
"Yeah, she's not exactly regal" said Armin.
"Well, it's only been 2 months since she was crowned" I said.

"But it seems like she rather runs an orphanage than a kingdom" said Jean.
"Have you heard the new name the people came up with for her? They call her the cattle farming Goddess" said Armin.

"You know, if this keeps up. No one is going to remember the chump who plugged the wall in Trost" laughed Jean to Eren.

"This is part of the reason why Historia agreed to become Queen in the first place. So she could do all of this" said Eren.

"She went from the Underground to the edge of the walls and got all the orphans she could find. She even got the Captain into it, since he grew up in the Underground. When she sees someone crying, saying that no one needs them. She has to prove them wrong, she told me that she needs them to be okay" said Eren.

"Slacking off again, heh?" said Historia and ran to us. "It's getting dark, you know!"

~

We picked up some stuff and brought it to the orphanage.
I looked around, all of this sent me thinking.
"Nora, are you okay? You look spaced out" said Armin and he sat down next to me.
I laid my head on his shoulder and held his hand.

"It's nothing. I was just thinking. What would have happened to me if my mom didn't find me, didn't adopt me? Would I have grown up like these kids? Would I be a Scout?" I said.
"We will never know" he said.

"I wonder if I would have known you and the others" I whisper. I felt his head rest against mine.
"Like I said, we will never know. And it doesn't matter. We're here, together now" he said and I smiled.

"You're right, we're here together now" I whispered. "And soon, we will see the sea together, remember?"
"Of course, how could I ever forget?" he said and kissed my hair. "The sea is still waiting for us"

~

We sat together with Marlo during diner, after meeting us he joined the Scouts as well, together with a lot of new cadets.
"That's great! We can win! With weapons like that, killing Titans will be as easy as breathing" said Marlo when he heard about the Executioner from Hell.

"You're so excited. You should know better than to be this pumped about joining the Scouts" said Jean.
"That reminds me" said Sasha. "Didn't Hitch try to convince you to stay an MP?"
"Wait, Hitch? How come?" asked Marlo.

"Because she's a thirsty girl and she thinks you're a tall glass of water" said Sasha and she and Conny were smiling.
I really tried not to laugh, but my efforts failed.

"I don't follow. But, Hitch did tell me off before. Said that I wasn't cut out to be a real soldier, she told me that I should stop acting cool and coast along in life. I thought that she was better than that. So I told her I was wrong about her" said Marlo.
"Asshole" I said out loud.

"Are you that dumb Marlo?" asked Armin.
"No brain under that boll cut" said Sasha. "But hey, Nora and Armin were just like that before too. But it did work out for them"
Armin and I looked at each other and we both blushed.

"Calm down, he didn't say anything wrong" said Eren.
"Anyway, the only people who are as excited as you are these new recruits with no battle experience" said Jean.
"Give me a break" said Floch, a new recruit. "You think you're some war veteran now?"

"I know I am, compared to you at least" said Jean.
"That's rude. We were in the 104th cadet corps, same as you. And besides, we're not the only ones who are excited. Everyone in the walls is. We're taking Wall Maria back, we're finally winning" said Floch.

"You think so?" I asked.
"Well, you guys do seem a little bit different now. There's something about your faces. What exactly happened?" he asked.

"You wanna know?" asked Jean.
"No... I'll ask some other time" said Floch and left.

Conny stood up. "I'm out, see you later" he said.
"What? Now?" asked Sasha.
"Tomorrow is supposed to be a prep day, so I plan to head to my village in the morning. There's a chance I might find something new there" said Conny and left.

"Think we can turn Conny's mom back to normal someday? I mean, it's not impossible, is it?" asked Sasha.
"Well, if our knowledge about Titans continues to improve, then yeah, maybe" said Armin.

"Like a nightmare" said Eren suddenly. "So much has happened that I hadn't had time to question it. Who do you guys think it is we're fighting against? The thing is, I've always hated the Titans. But what if they're just people being tormented by some nightmare? For a time at least... I was one of them myself..."

"Eren" said Mikasa loudly, making Eren look up. "You still have bread and soup left. You shouldn't be talking until you've finished your meal"
"Got it, you're right, sorry" said Eren.

"Get it together, Eren. Enough with the sad mumbling already. It's all you do these days" said Jean. "You know what you should be focussing on? That guy you saw, from the memories you were given. When Reiss and Historia touched you. You said you saw a Scout that must've known your dad, right?"

'Right, I forgot about that'
"Yeah, I think he might've been with my dad when the wall fell. If he's alive, he'll know something. He seems so familiar, I can't shake the feeling that I've met him somewhere" said Eren.

"Do you mean he seemed familiar to you, or just your dad?" asked Armin.
"Me I think" said Eren.
"It might help to smack yourself in the head, again" I said.

"Yeah, you should try that out. You know what else might be helpful? Instead with holding hands with Historia, you get a head butt from the Commandant" said Jean.

"If that would help me remember I..." began Eren but he suddenly looked shocked. "Hey wait..." Eren suddenly stood up and smashed his hands against the table. "That's who I saw with my dad. It's Commandant Shadis"