Chapter 4

-Nora POV-

-A year later-

“For today’s training, you will be paired up and survive for 3 days in the woods! Pair up!” shouted Shadis.

“Nora, want to pair up?” asked Armin and I nodded.
“Sure” I said.

We had been training for a year now. I had become pretty close friends with Eren, Mikasa, Armin and Reiner.
Armin often sat outside with me and talked to me about the outside world. It was nice, having friends to depend on. I told Armin about how I would love to know my father, if he was still alive.

Currently, I was one of the best in ODM-training. I loved it, flying through the air, I was able to move like I wanted to.

“So, we have been dropped in this forest and they want us to find camp in the next 3 days right?” I asked Armin, we were alone and it was getting dark.

“Yeah, we have this compass, so it should be going that way” said Armin and I followed him. Armin didn’t look strong, but he was super smart.

“Are you okay? You have been quiet these past few days” said Armin, he suddenly stood still and looked me straight in the eyes.

“Have I? I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to worry you. I’m fine, really” I said and smiled. It was getting so dark, that we hardly could see anything. “We should probably stop for now. It’s getting too dark to see and we need to rest too”

“You’re right, can you light a fire?” he asked and I nodded.
We sat next to each other, looking at the fire.

“I wonder how the others are doing” I whispered.
“I’m sure they’re fine” said Armin.
“You can sleep. I’ll keep watch first” I said and Armin nodded.

He laid down and began to sleep. ‘How cute’ I thought when I saw him sleep.

But soon I heard twigs snapping. My instincts were telling me to be on alert.

“Armin, Armin wake up. Someone’s here” I said and shook him awake.
“What’s wrong?” he whispered.

“We’re not alone here” I whispered and grabbed out a knife I always keep on me.
I looked a bit further, but that was my first mistake.

“Nora!” I heard Armin scream and I saw that someone had taken Armin and held a knife under his throat.

“Give the knife to my friend next to you, or your boyfriend here dies instantly” said the man and I looked at the woman next to me.

I looked at Armin and I slowly gave her my knife.
“Two cadets, how lovely. They should make an excellent example” said the woman and pushed me against a tree, holding a knife under my throat.

“Wait, that girl. We could make a lot of money with her. Look at her hair” said the man.
“You’re right, she does look special. Very pretty” said the woman.

‘They must be the cadet killers. I heard about them, but I thought that it was just an urban legend’ I thought. ‘Shit, I have to get us out of here. Armin…’
I looked at Armin who was looking straight at me.

“Well, let’s dispose of this one quickly” said the man and began pressuring the knife on Armin’s throat.

‘No… no! This isn’t happening! No!’
“Get your hands off him” I said. Suddenly I knew what to do, a power flew through my veins…

I grabbed the woman’s arm and broke it with one move, making her drop my knife. I knocked her away and ran for Armin. I pulled the arm with the knife away.