Chapter 32

-Nora POV-

Historia changed into her ODM-gear. I was surprised by how strong she was.
We gathered up with some of the Garrison Regiment to discuss the plan.

“Once you’re queen” said Mikasa to Historia. “You can punch that smug runt right in the face”
“You two do realise you’re talking about my father, right?” I said and smiled.

“Sirs, we’ve determined the Reiss Titan’s location. It’s south west, approaching Orvud. It’s fast, at this rate, it’ll reach the wall before dawn” said someone from the Garrison Regiment.

“Right. Commander Erwin, I’m sure everyone here would like to hear your plan. How can we evacuate the people in such a short amount of time?” asked a Commander from the Garrison Regiment.

“That’s not part of the plan” said Commander Erwin. “The people of Orvud District, will need to stay exactly where they are”
“But, Commander” said the Commander, but he got angry and grabbed Commander Erwin by his collar. “What the hell are you thinking? If we don’t get these civilians out of this city, they’ll die by the thousands! That monstrosity will be by the wall by morning!”

“That Titan is an abnormal” said Hange.
“Right, and what the hell does that mean?” shouted the Garrison Commander.

“It behaves strangely, unlike most Titans we encounter it’s only attracted to large groups of people. Hence the word abnormal. Put simply, given the choice between a few soldiers right next to him and a distend but densely populated city, it’ll chose the city” explained Hange. “So, if we were to evacuate Orvud District populous to the interior of wall Siena right now, then the Titan would change its course. Destroying the wall and anything else in its path. As we rode for Orvud, we had Eren Yeager attempt to use his recently discovered power to control Titans. Rod Reiss’s Titan didn’t react in any way”

“If we’re to stop this thing, it would have to be outside the walls of Orvud District” said Commander Erwin. “For that to happen, we require the citizens to act as bait. However, that doesn’t change the fact that first and foremost duty as soldiers is to protect the people”

The Garrison Commander slowly let Commander Erwin loose. “It seems that there’s no other choice” he said.
“The body of this Titan is the largest we’ve seen yet, as such it presents an easy target. Our canons on the wall should prove highly effective. But, if we can’t take it down with artillery, the Scout Regiment will throw everything we have at it” said Commander Erwin.

~

We stood on the wall and saw the big ass Titan approach. The Garrison Regiment fired canon after canon. But it wasn’t having much of an effect.
“Well, how did that do?” asked the Commander. But the Titan moved again.

“Not a whole lot it seems” I said. “The field canons are even less effective”
“It makes sense” said dad. “The canons on the wall have a way better angle, and they didn’t do shit to it either. What’s the problem?”

“Unprepared soldiers” said the Commander. “Scraped together canons and shallow leadership. The Titans have always attacked from the South. Not only is this a Northern Garrison, it’s in the interior. Therefore, I can tell you for a fact that this is the best we can get”

“Yeah, that much is painfully clear” said dad. “And of course, your strategy for getting us through this battle, comes down to a gamble. Just like any other plan you’ve come up with”

“Erwin! I brought the goodies!” shouted Hange. “All the gunpowder and netties I could find! We still need to put it together though” another soldier came with a barrel that was linked with ODM-gear. “Oh! There’s another one just like this a bit further down. The triggers hold it in place, so once fired it’ll pull itself right up just like ODM-gear! So, we do any damage?”

“Imagen a swarm of saccades pissing on it” said dad.
“So, we’ll actually use these things” said Hange.

“Captain Levi, Jean, Sasha, Conny. You handle that side” said Commander Erwin and sent them off to the other side.
“How should we approach this?” asked Hange while we were putting all the barrels on the net. “Let me see… think of it like we’re wrapping up a gift for someone special”

“Hey” said Eren. “Take a look at those kids down there” Armin and I walked to the edge of the wall and looked down at 3 kids. “They’re just like us on that day”

“Yeah, we were clueless too. We had no idea a Titan bigger than the walls were about to attack us either” said Armin. “They might end up seeing the same sight we did that day. The thing is, it’s different this time. Those kids will have soldiers who are ready to protect them. Those kids will have us”
Eren looked at Mikasa who was putting a barrel away.

“Eren, we’re running out of time. Keep your hands busy” she said.
Suddenly Eren began to beat himself up.
“Eren! What the hell are you doing!” I shouted.

“Eren, stop! Why are you?” shouted Armin and I took Eren’s wrists to stop him. “Are you making a wound? But it’s not time yet”

“No” said Eren. “I just needed to beat the shit out of a useless brat real quick. With any luck, he’s dead and gone now”
I released his wrists and began to laugh. “You really are weird sometimes, Eren”

The canons weren’t working. They aimed straight down to the nape of the neck, but suddenly the Titan began to emit steam.
“Shit” I said. “Why don’t they give us a break”

The Titan raised his hand and began to lift himself up. We could finally see his face, well. What was left of it anyway.
The Commander was right, by dragging his face to the ground, his face was all destroyed…

“Nora, here” said Armin and gave me a bucket of water, I threw it over myself to protect myself from the heat.
“Looks like we’re gonna have to clean up the mess again” I said. “We’re up, Eren!”

“Right” said Eren. “Armin, there’s one more thing that’s different from then. It’s not all we’ve hoped for, but it’s something. Mankind has an ace up its sleeve”

Eren raised his hand to his mouth and bit it, transforming himself into a Titan.
“I’m never gonna get used to that” I said.
“All set, Commander!” shouted Armin and went to the barrel with ODM-gear.

“On my mark!” shouted the Commander. “Now!” he fired off a red signal.
Armin fired off the ODM-gear to the Titans hands and they were blown off. The Titan began to fell forward.
“Alright! It’s losing balance” said Armin.

“Eren! Do it!” shouted the Commander.
Eren ran with the net full of barrels and ran towards the Titan, he threw the barrels full of gunpowder into the Titans open mouth.

The heat made it explode, blowing up the Titan.
“Go! Deploy your ODM-gear and finish it off!” shouted the Commander.
The target was still one meter high and 10 centimetres across. Bits of the Titan were falling down, we all started to cut one piece after piece down.

“Damn it, where is it!” I shouted, I kept cutting pieces of flesh.
I saw Historia, she went after a big piece and cut it, making it explode.

‘Well, I’ll be damned. She did it’
I landed on the ground, Armin wasn’t far from me. I saw him and ran to him, he wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tight.

“I love you” he whispered and kissed my lips. Through that kiss, I could feel his feelings. I could feel that we both needed each other.
‘I don’t know what I would do if I ever lost him…’
“I love you too” I whispered and kissed him back.