Chapter 14

-Nora POV-

Right before we had to move out, I found Armin and I grabbed his hand. He looked me in the eyes and squeezed my hand back. I noticed that he was trembling.

“We will be okay, Nora” he said. “We’re not that far from each other”
“I know” I said. “I just have a bad feeling about all of this”
“Me too” he said. We heard the bells, it was time to leave.

“I’ll see you soon, okay?” I said. I was going to leave but he pulled me in to him. He buried his head in my neck and held me tight.
“Be safe, Nora” he whispered in my ear.

“You too, Armin. Come back to me alive” I whispered back and walked to my horse.
“This is it! The day has come for humanity to take another step forward! Now let’s show those Titan’s exactly what we’re made of!” shouted a commander. The gate went slowly open…

“Forward!” shouted Commander Erwin. “It’s officially begun! The 57th recon mission! Scouts! Move out!”

-Armin POV-

The night before the expedition

‘I wonder if Nora is up’ I walked up the stairs to the rooftop. I saw Nora, but I soon noticed that someone else was with her.

‘Captain Levi? Why is he with Nora?’ I couldn’t hear their conversation, but I noticed Nora smiling. Which was all the reinsurance I needed. So I went back to the boys room.

“So, Armin. When are you going to confess to Nora?” asked Conny.
I’m sure my head was read as a tomato.

“I’m not going to confess to her. What gave you that idea?” I managed to ask.
“Oh, come on, Armin. It’s obvious you’re in love with her. So, tell her before one of you dies tomorrow” said Jean.

“It doesn’t matter what I feel… she would never fall for someone like me” I said.
“Oh for crying out loud” said Jean and I looked at him. “You know what? Figure it out on your own” he said and laid down on his bed.

“She cares for you, Armin. More than she cares about any of us” said Conny and he went to sleep as well.

‘I know she cares for me, but not in the way I care for her… seeing the sea without her would be meaningless, I don’t want to see the sea if she’s not with me. All I am to her, is her best friend, and I’m okay with that. As long as she’s with me, I’m okay with that…’

The day of the expedition

Nora walked to me and grabbed my hand. ‘Crap, did she know that I was scared?’

I squeezed her hand, trying to make her see that I would be fine.
“We will be okay, Nora” I said, I said it more to myself than to her. “We’re not that far from each other”

“I know” she said. “I just have a bad feeling about all of this”
“Me too” I said. We heard the bells, it was time to leave.

“I’ll see you soon, okay?” she said and was going to leave.
‘No, I can’t let her leave just yet… I need to hold her… one last time…’ I grabbed her wrist and pulled her into my chest, burying my face in her neck. I smelled her sweet scent, her soft skin. Her silver hair… I burned it all into my memory. Her hands went up my back and she hugged me back.

“Be safe, Nora” I whispered in her ear.
“You too, Armin. Come back to me alive” she whispered back and slowly walked away, her silver braid falling on her back.

We were riding out. Nora was riding a little bit behind me, she was a little bit deeper in the formation. The moment we were out of the city, we got into the long range formation.