Chapter 58

-Nora Ackerman POV-

"What the hell is going on?" I whispered, we all could feel the ground tremble...
"I think it's beginning..." said Armin. "The Titans... have started to move..."
"We need to get out of here" I said and tried kicking the bars.

"That's not gonna work, Nora!" said Armin and held me back.
"We need to do something!" I yelled back.
But not long after the trembling had started, Onyankopon stood in front of us.

"Onyankopon?" said Jean.
"No, it's Father Christmas" I said sarcastically.
"No time for your jokes, Nora" he said and looked back at Onyankopon. "What the hell is going on?"

"Marley launched an attack on the island with their air fleet" said Onyankopon. "They've got 500 soldiers plus the Armoured, Jaw and Cart Titans. Eren is still out there fighting them on his own. But he's struggling, he's not gonna last long. Marley's gonna take the Founder! You have to help"
He managed to open up the cells.
"Join us! Protect Eren!" he shouted, but Connie grabbed him by the collar.

"Are you shitting me!" yelled Connie while pushing Onyankopon against the wall. "We're not on the same side! This is your battle! You already betrayed us once! Why the hell would we do as you say?! Heh?!"
"I'm sorry!" Onyankopon managed to get out. "I never wanted this, but Yelena would've put a bullet in my head if I hadn't gone along with her plan!"

"Heh?!" shouted Connie. "You think I wanna hear your excuses?! You've been acting like our friend while you used that wine to take over Paradis! I'm sick of it! I'm so sick of getting betrayed! Reiner! Berthold! Annie! You! Even Eren has betrayed us! I can't stand it! Why should we do a damn thing for him! Why should we save him just so he can stop any of us having kids?! Well?!"

Armin put his hand on Connie's arm.
"I'd like to hear him out at least" he said. "Okay?"
"Let him go, Connie" I said. "If you choke him he can't answer, dummy"

Connie let him go, making Onyankopon fall on the ground.
"I had no idea that Yelena was plotting any of this" said Onyankopon. "The tainted wine or the euthanasian plan. None of the volunteers were told anything"
"Heh?!" yelled Connie.

"He's telling the truth" said Niccolo. "We never discussed the tainted wine with the volunteers. Yelena ordered us not to mention it to them"
"What's more, I don't want to see the Eldian people euthanised" said Onyankopon. "Our goal was to build a new Paradis alongside all of you. To rise up and beat Marley together. That's why we left everything behind to come here. I gave up my whole life for the people of this island. Because, I thought together we could create a better future on Paradis. But there is no future without children! If this euthanasian plan succeeds... then everything we sacrificed... it'll all be for nothing!"

I kneeled down and looked him straight in the eyes... and I didn't see any lies.
"You have to believe me" he said.
"He's telling the truth" I said and stood back up.
"You sure, Nora?" asked Connie and I nodded.

"I believe him as well" said Armin. "Years ago, when you first came here, you said something that stuck with me. That we subjects of Ymir exist because we're wanted. That the world is more interesting with different kinds of people. I think you believe that and I think that belief goes against everything Zeke's doing. You meant all the things you said, right? Then get back on your feet, Onyankopon"
Armin held out his hand and Onyankopon grabbed it.

"Thank you" he said and stood up.
"Well, for what it's worth I believe you too" said Jean. "But now what? If we help Eren and Zeke fight off the Marleyan army, they'll just end up going through with the euthanasian plan, right?"
"Well, we'll at least have a chance to stop them" said Onyankopon. "Because... if those two die, the whole is gonna come crashing down on us"

"So what are you trying to say we should do then?!" shouted Connie.
"If nothing else, we can activate the Rumbling and show the world we're capable of punching back!" said Onyankopon.
"Heh?!" shouted Connie. "You wanna give them a taste of the Rumbling?!"

"Hey, Mikasa" said Armin and looked at her. "What do you think? Do you wanna help Eren?"
"I would say yes" she said. "Except, knowing what he told me... I'm not sure if I want to, or if my blood is telling me to"
She looked me straight in the eyes.

"We're Ackermans" she said. "Our will is not our own"
"Look..." began Armin.
"You seriously believed that shit?" I said and she was surprised. "It's obvious he made that up to mess with our heads"

"No, he was on to something" she said. "He asked if I get headaches and I do. What makes you think he was lying?"
"Guys" said Armin. "Do you actually believe Eren wants to stop all Eldians from having children? You honestly think he'd go along with that?"
"It doesn't really strike me as something Eren would want but..." said Jean. "I can't say it's more than he's willing..."

"Well I can say it!" yelled Armin. "He would never do that!"
"You don't think so?" said Connie. "Did you think he would work with Zeke and Yelena?!"

"He's just pretending to!" yelled Armin. "Don't you see? Eren is the one with the Founding Titan's powers, so he doesn't need to fight Zeke. Things were different when Yelena first came to him with a plan. There's no telling what she might've done if he had refused to join her. He didn't have any options back then! But now Eren has Yelena completely convinced that he's on her side and the volunteers have gotten him in contact with Zeke. He's in control! He can use the Rumbling to protect the Island! No one will dare to lay a hand on Paradis for the next 50 years!"

"At what cost, Armin?" I said. "What about my father? What about my grandfather?"
I was angry at Eren, if he was truly in control... my grandfather wouldn't be in danger of becoming a Titan right now. Armin knew this and couldn't answer me...
Everyone looked at me, while I just looked straight into Armin's eyes.

"Why did he put them in danger, if Eren cared so much for us?" I said.
"I don't know" he said honestly and wanted to take my hand.
I took my hand back and I saw that Armin was hurt by my action. I had never pulled away from him. But now... I was just angry, at Eren. And I didn't want Armin to pick a side... knowing it wouldn't be mine...

"We can ask Eren those questions later" I said. "Let's just go"
"I've been calling Eren a suicidal maniac ever since we met in the cadet core" said Jean. "I always knew that shithead would lead us straight to hell if we gave him the chance. But even knowing that I was still jealous of him. For being cool enough to do it. It pisses me off that I have to say this. But it's the truth. I'm not ready to see Eren die just yet. And Nora is right, Eren can't answer our questions if he's dead"

"Me neither" said Connie. "I owe that guy a beatdown. Marley can get the hell back in line"
"Let's go" said Onyankopon.
I didn't look at Armin as we began to run up the stairs.