Chapter 3

-Nora POV-

“Yeah, okay? I saw the big guy” said Eren to the people around our table.
I sat next to Armin, trying to ignore all the people around us.

“Wow, how tall was he?” asked a guy.
“He stuck his head over the outer wall” said Eren.

“I heard that he stepped over the wall completely!”
“Nah, he was big, but not that big”

“So what did it look like?” asked a girl.
“It had a mouth like a corpse, and no skin, just muscles” said Eren and continued eating his soup.

“And the Armoured Titan? The one that broke through Wall Maria?” asked someone else.
“Is that what they’re calling it? In all the panic it was just another Titan to me”

“No way… so what were they like?” asked a guy. Suddenly Eren dropped his spoon and held his hand over his mouth.

“Okay, that’s enough guys” I said. “I’m sure he rather not relive everything he went through”
“It’s not like that, Nora. But thanks for worrying” said Eren and ate his bread. “Those stupid Titans… they’re really not that big of a deal. If we focus on mastering the ODM-gear they give us. Then it’s Titan payback time. I’ve waited years to be trained as a soldier. All of a sudden the reality is sinking in. I’m joining the Scout Regiment. Then I’m sending the Titans back to hell.  I’m gonna butcher them all”

“Hey, are you crazy or something?” said Jean. “Not that it’s my business but signing up for reconnensens is like signing up for a death sentence”

“I guess we’ll see, or at least I will. You seemed content on hiding in the interior with the MP’s” said Eren.
“Look, I’m just speaking honestly here kid” said Jean. ‘Kid? He’s the same age as you, you dumbass’ I rolled with my eyes. “I think it’s better than being a loud mouth bragger guy wannabe pretending he’s not as pissed scared as the rest of us”

Eren stood up and looked angry…
“Are you trying to pick a fight?” he said.
“Stop it you guys” said Marco. ‘Nice try buddy, but these two need to swing a fist at each other’

“Alright, makes no difference to me” said Jean and he and Eren stood face to face. The bell rang, time to get to bed.

“Hey, I apologize” said Jean. “Sorry for calling you names and dismissing your choice of career” he held out his hand to Eren.

“Right, I’m sorry as well” said Eren. He high fived Jean and left the dining hall, Mikasa following him.
“Well, that went awfully well…” I sighed and Armin looked down at his plate. “Are you okay, Armin?” I asked and he looked me straight in the eyes. “It mustn’t have been easy to hear all of that and relive what you went through”

“Oh, no. I’m fine, thank you for your concern” he said and continued eating.

That night, I couldn’t sleep. I walked outside with my hoodie, with the hood over my head.
I walked to a bench and looked up at the clear sky.

“How beautiful” I whispered.
“Can’t sleep either?” I looked next to me and saw Armin.

“No, you too heh?” I asked and he sat next to me, looking up at the stars.
“You look at the stars like it’s the first time you see them” he suddenly said and I chuckled.

“Yeah, I suppose so. I remember the first time I saw the clear sky with all of its stars. I was 4 years old. Before that, I don’t remember ever seeing the sky. So I suppose, I always enjoy seeing the sky” I said and smiled.

I looked at Armin, who was looking at the moon. His eyes were shining. “So what are you thinking about? Your eyes are shining” I said and he blushed.