Chapter 48

-Nora POV-

-3 years ago-

When the next survey fleet came, we caught them easily...
Yelena lured them in and Armin blew up the ships. And made sure they abandoned their ships.

"Welcome to our defiled island of filth blooded devils" said dad while he pointed a gun to a soldier's head. "You're gonna love it here. As long as you like drinking pig piss"
"You'll never let the fact go they called your favourite drink that, heh?" I asked.

"Tch" said my dad, making me chuckle. "Feel free to turn us down. But if you don't come ashore, you'll need to swim back home"

-Current time-

"It was fun back then" said Armin.
"Well, we knew that as Eldians we were feared and hated by the rest of the world. That's something I'll never understand. They don't know us, yet they hate us" I said.

"But not everyone across the sea was an enemy" said Armin. "That fact gave us comfort"
"We finally got to learn about the outside world" I said. "All of it complexities and mysteries"

-3 years ago-

Onyonkapon was explaining how to build a port.
"Oh, Onyonkapon" said Sasha. "Why is your skin so dark?"
"Because our creators thought that things would be more interesting" said Onyonkapon. "If the world would be occupied by many kinds of people. I'd say that this applies to you subjects of Ymir as well. We exist, because we were wanted"

"Wait, we were created?" asked Armin. "By who?"
"By the one who gave power to your founder Ymir. It was God" said Onyonkapon. "Well, that's what some people believe. We're all free to think as we like"
I saw the shine in Armin's eyes and it made me smile.

~

We were looking at some kind of food Niccolo made.
"What the hell is this food?" asked Connie.
"Is it even edible?" asked Jean.
"Smells pretty fishy" said Mikasa.

"Have you never had seafood before?" asked Yelena. "Niccolo is a master when it comes to Marleyan cuisine"
Niccolo was quietly insulting us, while Sasha was staring down at the food. She took a bite and she began to freak out and eat more of it.

"Sasha, slow down" I said and held down my laugh.
"No fair, Sasha!" shouted Jean.
"You're a genius" said Sasha and began to cry. "This is the best food I've ever eaten"
Niccolo began to blush and I poked Armin who noticed it too.

"Hey, stop eating like some kind of pig" said Niccolo.
"I've never tasted anything like this" cried Sasha.
"Well, let's try it before Sasha eats it all" I said and took a bite.
And it was truly delicious...
"There's plenty. So, take your time" said Niccolo.

~

"We should be finished building the port soon" said Armin. "Progress has been fast since those Marleyan engineers started to help out"
I sat behind him while Eren was practicing with the new guns we got.

"I'm kind of surprised they agreed to" said Mikasa.
"It took time" said Armin. "At first we were too suspicious to cooperate at anything. But as we gradually set aside the labels we have for one another and work to see each other as people, we can reach an understanding"

"Armin" said Eren. "Have you seen any of Berthold's memories?"
"Eh... yeah" said Armin. "But, I didn't notice anything that seemed helpful"
"We're short on time" said Eren and that reminded me again of how little time Armin had left on this earth. "Zeke has less than 3 years to live"

"Yeah, but about that" said Armin. "Do you really think it's okay for us to just go along with Yelena's plan?"
"What's the problem?" asked Mikasa.
"I think Armin is wondering if we really have to threaten the world with the Rumbling to protect the Eldian people" I said.

"Yes, we would be forcing everyone to live in fear of us. Acting like the devils they think we are" said Armin. "Before it comes to that, why don't we just talk to them? If we fix the world's misconceptions about us, threats won't be needed"

"Come again?" said Eren. "What misconceptions do they have?"
"You know, how they think we're scary monsters" said Armin.
"They think that because we can transform. Into man eating Titans" said Eren. "That's no misconception"

"It's not like we chose to have that ability" I said.
"There are some Marleyans that like us" said Mikasa.
"How many?" asked Eren. "Most of the Marleyans we caught are still glaring at us from their prison cells"

"That's true for now" said Mikasa. "But given enough time..."
"Yeah, we just need time" said Armin.
"That's right" said Eren. "And to buy ourselves that time, we need to show the world our strength"

-Current time-

"I still don't know if we made the right choice back then" said Armin and I laid my head on his shoulder. "I can't help but wonder, if there was some other path we could've taken. If we had just seen it. I used to think I understood Eren better than anyone... even Mikasa... but... I don't know anymore" he let his head fall against mine.
"We should go" I said. "Sasha's funeral will start soon"

~

It was raining...
And we heard some people attacking Niccolo, so we quickly stopped them.
"Hey, Niccolo" said Jean.
"Are you okay?" asked Connie.

"No" said Niccolo. "Why, damn it? Is it true that Sasha was killed?"
We were silent and I just held Armin's hand.
"So it is" said Niccolo. "Then why? What the hell were you guys doing?"

~

"Shot by a kid who snuck onto the airship?" said Niccolo. "It's too ridiculous to be true"
"It wasn't an ordinary kid" I said. "The girl had been trained"
"Sounds like a warrior candidate" said Niccolo.

"Should've kept my guard up" said Jean. "I'm sorry"
"Why apologise to me?" asked Niccolo. "All I did was cook her a meal or two"
Connie laid his hand on Niccolo's shoulder. "Thank you" he said. "Thank you forevery tasty meal you made for her, Niccolo"

"How are you taking it, Connie?" asked Niccolo.
"Sasha and I were like twins" said Connie. "So it feels like half of me is justgone..."
Her mother, father and foster sister came to the grave.

"It's her family" said Jean.
"You were friends of my daughter, Sasha" said Mr. Braus.
Her mother and sister were crying.

"Pardon" said Niccolo. "I'm just a captive Marleyan, but... I have permission towork as a chef. Your daughter loved my cooking. More than anyone else everwill, I think. So, ehm... if you ever want to, please come and let me cook yousomething"
Mr. Braus held out his hand. "And this will be on the house, right?" he asked.
"Yeah" said Niccolo and shook Mr. Braus his hand.