Chapter 33

-Nora POV-

After the Titan was destroyed, we looked for Kenny and his squad. But we only found their crushed bodies. My dad and I were searching together, we were searching for Kenny. We both had some questions for him.

"Captain Levi! We found Kenny Ackerman! He's still alive!" shouted a soldier.
My dad and I looked at each other and we followed the soldier.
We saw Kenny Ackerman, badly hurt against a tree.

"Kenny" said dad.
"Oh, shit" said Kenny. "Not you two again" he began to cough up blood.
"We found what was left of your squad" I said. "Looks like they all got crushed when the cave collapsed. I guess you're the only survivor"

"Sure looks that way, little Eleanor" he said.
"Report back" said dad to the soldier. "We'll be fine on our own"
"Understood, sir" said the soldier and left us.

I kneeled down to Kenny, leaving my gun far away from him. I slowly raised my hand and covered the part of his face that was burned. I finally remembered him.
"Elly, not so close" said dad.

"It's fine, he's not going to hurt me, dad" I said.
"How do you know that?" he asked.
"Because, if he was going to kill me. He would've done that 6 years ago" I said and smiled.
"You remember me" said Kenny and coughed up blood again.
"Yeah, how can I forget the man who gave me this" I said and took out the knife I always carry with me.

-Flashback, 6 years ago-
I was running away from the bullies. They picked on me because of my hair, they said it was strange... I kept running until I ran into someone.
"Hey, brat!" shouted the man angry.

"I'm sorry, sir!" I said and looked up at the man. He looked at me like he had seen a ghost.
"There she is!" I heard the bullies shout. I tensed up and wanted to run away again, but the man grabbed my wrist and stopped me.

"You should stand up for yourself, or they'll never stop" said the man with the same eyes as me.
"How do I do that?" I asked. He gave me a knife, a small one.
"Take a strong stance and look them straight in the eyes, and tell them to piss off" he said and smiled.

I took a deep breath and did as the man said. The bullies froze in their path, the leader began to tremble.
"Hey, hey. Nora, calm down. We were just messing around" said the leader.
"Then mess around somewhere else" I said angry and took a step closer to him. "Leave me alone, before I hurt you"

They ran away and the man laughed.
"Good job, little kid" he said and patted my head. I handed the knife back to him, but he closed my hand around it. "Keep it, it's yours now"
"Thank you, sir" I said and he walked away. Keeping me wondering why a stranger would help me.
-End flashback-

"You knew who I was and you still saved me that day. You taught me to stand up for myself. It was then that I started to believe in myself, believe that I could fight. So thank you" I said and smiled.

"It was no big deal" he said and I stood up, next to my father.
"Between the burns and the blood you've lost. There's nothing that can save you now" said dad.

"Oh, yeah?" said Kenny. "I wonder" he took out a syringe with a bottle of fluid next to it. It was the same thing Rod Reiss was gonna use to make Historia a Titan... "Swiped this sucker out of Rod's bag, back in the cave. Seems if I just stick myself, I'll turn into a big strong Titan. One of the dumb ones, unfortunately. But, for a while, it ought to keep me alive"

"You had the time and strength to inject before we got here if you wanted, why didn't you?" asked dad.
"Fair point, I guess I'm just scared. If I don't inject it right, then... I might turn out the same as Rod. All messed up like" said Kenny.

"I know you're not just sitting here, waiting to bleed to death. Surely you have a better excuse than that" said dad.
"Well runt, the thing is. I don't feel like dying without my dream coming true. But, I see now... after all this time I think I see why he did it" said Kenny.

"Heh?" I asked but Kenny just laughed.
"We humans, we're all the same. Every last one of us. For some it's drinking, for some it's women, for some even religion, family, the king, dreams, children, power. All of us had to spent our lives drunk on something, otherwise we'd have no cause to keep pushing on. Everyone, is a slave to something" he said and began to cough again. "So, what's your poison, runt? Heroics?"
Dad gave me his gun and grabbed Kenny by the collar.

"Kenny, tell me everything you know about the king. The first King, why didn't he want mankind to survive?" asked dad.
"Don't know, beats me. That said, I know that's part of the reason we Ackerman's decided to turn cope" said Kenny and coughed.

My eyes widened at the revelation.
'Ackerman? Is that our last name too then?'
"So, apparently that's our name as well" said dad and looked at me, thinking the same as I was. He looked back at Kenny. "Tell me, who are you? What were you to my mom?"

"You dumbass, I'm just... her brother" said Kenny while coughing.
"That day, why? Why did you leave me? Why did you leave Eleanor?" asked dad.

"Because, I just wasn't cut out to be somebodies dad" said Kenny, he pushed the box with the syringe against my father's chest. "You do a better job than I did"
Kenny stopped breathing...

~

The next day, Historia got crowned queen.
She walked with us to my dad. She was actually going to punch him.
"Wait, you're actually gonna do it? For real?" asked Eren.
"Yeah, I am" said Historia.

"Come on, it was just a joke. Right Mikasa?" asked Eren.
"After you smacked him, you should tell him this: I dare you to hit me back" said Mikasa and I laughed.

"Real helpful. It's not a serious grudge, let it go. Help me out here Nora" said Eren and I raised my hands.

"I'm not getting between this" I said.
"Thank you, Nora. If I can't even do this, than how can I call myself a queen?" asked Historia.
"That's the spirit, pound that runt" said Jean.

We finally saw my father and Historia walked to him. Smacking him, but not too hard.
But still, shocking everyone besides me and Mikasa.
"Did that hurt? Well too bad now, I'm queen now so too bad! If you got a problem..." began Historia, but my father began to laugh. Shocking everyone even more.
"Thanks you guys, I needed that" he said.

That night I sat outside with Armin, Eren and Mikasa. I told them what happened with my father and Kenny.
What my real name was.
"Eleanor Ackerman?" asked Mikasa and I nodded.

"Apparently that's my real name" I said and she hugged me.
"Well, I'm happy to know you are related to me. Less happy about that runt" she said and I laughed, I was surrounded by the people I loved, finally knowing who I am. Finally at home...