Chapter 25

-Nora POV-

The week after me and Eren got kidnapped, it seemed like all hell broke loose.
We found out that Titans were actually former humans. And that everyone in Conny’s village, including his family had turned into a Titan…

‘We really never get to catch a break do we?’
“Are you okay, Mikasa?” I asked, she had been grabbed by a Titan and was actually supposed to rest.

My friends and I had become the new Levi squad, to protect Eren and Historia.
‘Still have trouble not calling her Krista…’

“I’m fine, Eleanor” she said and I laughed.
“You don’t have to call me Eleanor, Mikasa. You’re my friends, you have the right to call me Nora” I said.

“Good, I think I could never get used to calling you Eleanor” she said and smiled.
Historia was being quiet… I was worried about her. Ever since she told us her story… the illegitimate child of a noble man, it wasn’t an easy life…

We walked back inside the house we were all cooped up in. The house we had been staying in the last few days.
“What are you now, my mom?” we heard Jean shout.

“We’re back” said Mikasa and I saw Eren and Armin looking at us with judging eyes.
“Wait, you two were chopping fire wood?” said Armin.
“We got to stay in shape somehow” I said.

“Mikasa, you got grabbed by a Titan. And Nora, you were unconscious for half a day, hitting your head! You two should be in bed recovering” he said.
“I think you’re wasting your breath. I caught them doing sit-ups earlier too” said Eren and I rolled my eyes. I followed Mikasa to put the wood away.

“Nora, Mikasa. You know you’re only human, right?” said Armin. I put the wood away and touched his shoulder.
“Armin, I got cleared by the doctor. And I’m keeping an eye out for Mikasa. The moment I notice she’s in pain, I’ll stop her. So you don’t have to worry” I said and he relaxed.

“Funny” said Sasha. “Almost feel like we’re in the cadet corps doesn’t it?”
“Chaos. Makes you wonder why they chose us for this new Levi squad” said Armin. “Protecting Eren and Historia is such an important mission”

“Because we’re all so talented I assume” said Sasha and shoved something in her bag.
“Sasha” I said. “What did you just shove into your bag?”

“It’s something that’s definitely not bread” she answered.
“Really?” said Jean. “What did I tell you?”
“Come on, put it back” said Conny.

“Hey! Can we focus here? We’ve got to finish cleaning before the Captain gets back” said Eren, but in that moment my father walked in.
“What’s all the commotion?” he asked. He went with his hand under the table, and dust fell… “I am quite certain I gave you enough time”

Everyone sighed. “Never mind. We can discuss your utter failure at a later date. Eren, Hange is anxious to get the experiment under way”
“Right, yes sir” said Eren.

We all got into our ODM-gear. And went to an open site.
Eren transformed 3 times, but the third time his Titan form was incomplete.

“What’s wrong Eren? Get up! The future of humanity depends on you, damn it!” shouted Hange. “Get up!”
“Third time” said dad. “And his form changed again. He’s not even 10 meters tall. Some of his body lacks muscle”

“Plus, Eren’s scrawny ass is hanging out” I said.
“I can see that! Did there have to be 2 of you?” said Hange and dad and I looked at each other. “Eren! Think you can still move? Give us a signal or something will you?”

“Eren!” shouted Mikasa and jumped off her horse to run to Eren.
“Great. The brat’s at it again. Off to the rescue. She never learns, does she” said dad.

“There’s no response, we’re done here. Eren!” screamed Hange and went down to Eren.
“Is that his skull?” I asked and pointed at Eren who was being pulled out by Hange.

“Not the outcome we hoped for. We’re still a long way from being able to use Eren’s Titan powers to seal the wall” said dad to Armin.
“Yes, we’ve known all along that this would be like grasping at preverbal straws” said Armin.

“The plan is strategically sound and simple in theory. All we need is to get Eren there. This could still work. But it’s going to depend on him” said dad.
“Experiment’s over! All troops withdraw at once!” shouted Hange.

“Withdrawing! Go! Make sure we weren’t seen!” shouted a soldier.
“Elly, you go to the house with Eren. I’m going with Hange’s squad. We’re headed for Trost” said dad and I nodded.

~

I sat outside, since I couldn’t sleep again.
Every time I closed my eyes, I saw Reiner and Berthold, betraying us. I couldn’t get it out of my head…
I jumped when someone touched my shoulder.

“It’s just me” said Armin and I relaxed.
“I’m sorry” I whispered and he laid a blanket around me. “I haven’t been able to sleep well”

“I noticed. You can talk about it if you want” he said and I laid my head on his shoulder.
“I guess I still don’t understand why they did what they did. And somehow, I still can’t hate them” I whispered.

“That’s just who you are, Nora. You can’t hate someone” he said and I sighed.
“It would be easier if I could” I closed my eyes and held his hand. “Just stay with me for a little while. That’s all I need”
“I’m not going anywhere” he whispered and kissed my head.

-Armin POV-

I noticed that Nora’s breathing got steady. She had fallen asleep.
I slowly lifted her up and carried her bridal style to her room. She was sharing one with Mikasa, who wasn’t surprised to see us.

I gently laid Nora in her bed and she grabbed the sleeve of my shirt.
“Stay, please” she whispered.

I looked over at Mikasa who nodded, she walked out of the room, probably to sleep in Eren and my room.
I got under the blanket with Nora and she laid her head against my chest. I wrapped my arms around her and she wrapped hers around me.

“Stay” she whispered again.
“Always” I whispered back and slowly fell asleep with the smell of lavender.

-Nora POV-

The next morning Hange returned and we all met up in the dining room. She was still in her nightgown.

“Now, what’s this about?” asked dad.
“I’m sorry” she said. “Pastor Nick… he was murdered. Today in the Trost barracks by the Military Police, tortured and then murdered. I figured the Church would want to get their hands on Nick when they learned he was cooperating with the Scouts. That’s why hid his identity and had him stay in the barracks. I never imagined they would use soldiers to kill him. This was my fault, I should’ve been more careful”

“They tortured him… presumably for information” said Armin. “Did they just want to know what exactly he passed on to us?”

“Most likely” said dad. “But these are the interior MP’s we’re dealing with. So you can bet there’s something deeper at work here. Now, how many nails was the good pastor missing?” I looked up at my father. “How many? You saw right?” he asked Hange.

“I only caught a glimpse of him. But all the nailbeds I saw were empty” she answered.

“People who talk, talk after one. If they don’t, ripping off more won’t make a difference. I’m impressed, I didn’t think highly of Pastor Nick, but whatever his flaws, he stuck by his believes until the end” said dad and looked at Historia. “Which means, they have no idea we know about the Reiss family. But the government is up to something. And we’ve got a target on our backs”

“Captain Levi, sir” a woman of the Scouts walked in. “I have a message from Commander Erwin” she gave him a piece of paper. “I went to tell him about Pastor Nick but he gave me this and sent me off”

“Get your gear now” said dad. “We’re leaving. Make it look like we were never here”