Chapter 42

-Nora POV-

Eren was telling the story about how his father came inside the walls, the story before it. The story of how he became an intelligent Titan... the story of what we are, what happened before the walls...

"Anyone who inherits the power of one of the nine, will perish 13 years later. He said that that was the rule, he called it the curse of Ymir. The first Titan Ymir died that long after getting her powers and since none can surpass her we have to do the same" said Eren.

'13 years? That's it... that's all we're gonna get as a second chance?'
"So I have 13 years to live" said Armin. "And you..."
"I've only got 8 left, not even..." said Eren.

"No" said Mikasa. "You're wrong, there's been a mistake. It can't be true"
Armin took my hand and bounded his fingers with mine.

"If someone of the powers of one of the nine should die without passing it on to a successor, the power will be inherited by a baby born after that death. A subject of Ymir of course. For that to be the case, it seems all of us Eldians must be connected by something we can't see. There's one successor that said they were paths, paths that the naked eye can't observe. Through which Titan flesh can move, along with memories and the will to act. These paths are countless, they reach far and in many directions. But they all meet at one coordinate, the Founding Titan" said Eren and dozed off again.

Armin and I left and the moment we were outside, he hugged me.
"I am so sorry" he whispered against my neck. "I can't keep my promise again"

I touched his face and smiled. "It's not your fault, Armin. This time, I'll make you a promise" I whispered. "I promise, to stay by your side for the next 13 years. And when you die after those 13 years... I promise I'll love you for a long time after that"

"But... I... you deserve..." I shut him up by kissing him.
"Shut up" I said and took his hands. "I chose you, Armin. And I'll chose you every day. And you won't be able to change my mind"

"Okay" he smiled, he took out a necklace with a ring around it. "I know you don't like wearing rings, so I bought this" he gave it to me and I looked up. He was wearing the same necklace with the same ring... "It's a promise ring. I know I broke my promise to never leave you once already. But I swear, to never do it again. I promise, that for the rest of my life, to love you and always stand by your side. And the rings were meant to symbolise that" his face was completely red.

I chuckled and gave it to him. "Can you put it on me?" I asked and he nodded. I pulled my hair aside and he put the necklace around my neck.

"I never knew you could be this cheesy" I said and smiled.
"Nora..." he said and looked embarrassed.
"It's sweet, Armin. I love it" I whispered and touched the necklace.
"I'm glad" he said.

-A few days later-

We got dressed for meeting with the Queen and went back to the dungeons.
"It's called the Attack Titan" said Eren seriously while striking a pose.
"What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked and he looked at us.
Hange copied him and I smirked.

"That's what you just did! Remember?" said Hange.
"No" said Eren.
"Heh? Come on! He did! Are little Levi and I the only ones saw him?" asked Hange and I rolled my eyes at her nickname.

"No... but I think he was just..." said Armin.
"Just what?" asked Hange. "Who the hell were you talking to?"
"No one. It's nothing" said Eren.

"You said the name of your Titan, right? Are you practicing ways to introduce him or...?" asked Hange.
"Let it go, Hange. He's 15 years old, we all go through a phase like this" said dad.

"A phase where you mutter weird crap while posing?" asked Hange and I couldn't hold my laughter anymore.

"Hange, I'll explain it to you later. It's not right with him in here" said Armin.
"Oh, it's that kind of phase" said Hange.
"What the hell do you want?!" shouted Eren and my father opened the door to the cells.
"Get out" he said.

"But I'm not done. I still have 10 full days left" said Eren.
"I'm satisfied. Hange just gave you 10 days, worth of pain. Elly, you can stop laughing now" said dad and I tried to stop.
"Yeah, sorry. Couldn't help myself" I said.

"We talked it over with Premier Zachery. So don't worry. If we keep the brave heroes who toppled the Armoured and Colossal in jail, it kind of sends a bad message, you know" said Hange.
Mikasa walked out, she looked thinner.

"Did you lose some weight? That's odd, we had plenty to eat" said Eren and I rolled my eyes.
'That's because she gave all her food to you, you dumbass'

"Let's go, get dressed already" said dad.
"Wait, where are we going, Captain?" asked Eren.
"A state meeting, her majesty has come to Trost" said my dad.

We walked inside Historia's office and she walked to us.
We bowed and Armin said: "Your Grace"
"Oh, stop it, please" said Historia. "I'm not actually ruling yet. But wow, you've been through so much. Meanwhile, I've done nothing but watch the South Sky and wait"

"It's an important duty of yours, just to keep safe and well" I said.
"Yeah, she's right" said Eren.
"It's good to see you're still acting like yourselves" said Historia.

"Well, that might be because it hasn't sunken in for us yet" said Eren.
"Why don't we get the ball rolling?" said Hange.

~

"The early life of Grisha Yeager. The extent of knowledge about the Titans and their history. Information about the world beyond the walls. The only people who know these books exists, are those who are in this room now" said Zachery. "These texts were obtained with the efforts by the ten Scouts before us and the 198 who are lost. On this day and in the Queen's presence, I'd like for all of us to assess the situation and come to an agreement for the next course of action. Scout Regiment Commander, Hange Zoë"

"Sir" said Hange and stood up. "The Scouts have suffered a brutal staggering blow. In exchange for the lives of many heroes, including Erwin Smith. We have retaken Wall Maria and seized control over the Colossal Titan. Even with all its fierce and strength, that said. We humans living inside the walls have just learned how precarious our situation is. I'd be relieved if Titans were the only monsters we had for enemies. Unfortunately, the true nature of the foe we face, is human. It's a whole civilisation, one can say that it's us against the world. According to these books, we're of a special race that can turn into Titans. Called the subjects of Ymir. We ruled the world once and some fear we will again. So despite our past century of pacifism, most in this world would like to wipe us out. Doctor Yeager managed to steal the Founding Titan, and he passed it on to his son Eren. The Founding Titan's full might can only be brought to bear, when the power is possessed by someone of royal blood. However, when a royal comes to possess the Founding Titan, they're overpowered by their ancestors will and continue down the path he set before them. Such of his power to renounce war. However, Eren has commanded Pure Titans once in the past, to escape from a dire situation. So despite his lack of Royal blood, it's at least conditionally possible for Eren to wield that power too"

Suddenly Eren stood up. "There's no way!" he shouted.
"You scared me. What is it? What's wrong?" asked Hange.
"I eh.. just..." said Eren.
"If you have something to say, we would be glad to hear it" said Zachery.

"Actually, it's nothing" said Eren and sat back down. "Sorry for interrupting Commander"

"Oh, I get it now, that's right" said Hange. "It would appear that Yeager here is going through an awkward phase. He speaks out of term and often makes a nuisance of himself"
'This is too hilarious' I really tried not to laugh.

"I see, that's rather unfortunate. But he is at that age" said Zachery.
"Eren" whispered Armin.
But he just looked down...