forty nine

it was around 8pm when the four of them decided it was time to go home. they were sitting on a picnic blanket as octavia and jacob ate lunch.

emmett offered to drive the two home and then him and rosalie would go hunt. this was a perfect plan as octavia was already yawning.

jacob picked her up, holding her close to his chest and getting in the backseat of the car. she opened her eyes tiredly and smiled at him, enjoying the feeling of being in his arms. she knew the ride home was long too, so she really won.

"how was your day?" he asked his, drawing circles on her hips.

"i loved it." she whispered, closing her eyes again. her hands snaked up to her necklace and she held it gently.

jacob's heart skipped a beat. he loved how much she loved his present for her. to him it was a symbol of his love to her and the fact she loved it too made his heart swell.

she rubbed her head and sat up, trying to get comfortable. she ended up leaning her head on his chest, her legs close to her own chest. she yawned once more and her eyelids flutters, she had fallen asleep.

"excited for the wedding tomorrow?" rosalie asked. she loved weddings so out of kindness and respect for their friendship with jacob and seth, sam had invited a few of the cullens.

those who recieved the invitation were rosalie, emmett, carlisle, esme, alice and jasper. sam and emily did not think it was appropriate to invite bella and edward and for this octavia was grateful.

"super stressed actually," jacob rubbed his temples, "they want me to give a speech and that's nerve wrecking."

"you'll be fine." emmett reassured him, "is that all you're nervous about? it looks like you have more on your mind." the car was silent for two long minutes.

"sam asked me to be alpha."

"holy shit congrats jake!" emmett was pretty happy for him. he knew that jacob was destined for alpha but he didn't know when he would eventually take on his role, "tell me you said yes?"

"i said i will have to think about it." jacob sighed.

"why?" rosalie asked, chiming in.

"because." jacob looked down at ava who was sleeping in his lap. he held her tightly as if she was going to run away, "i fell in love. i have to talk with her first. being alpha means i spend the majority of my time on the reservation until i give up the role. if she has bigger dreams in life and doesn't want to stay on the reservation then i will drop everything to be with her." he smiled at her lovingly.

"but doesn't that mean you won't be happy?" emmett asked.

"if i'm with ava, no matter the circumstances, i am happy." his cheeks turned rosy, "if i were asked to be alpha a few months ago i would have said yes. but now there is someone special and she comes first."

"love." rosalie smiled, holding emmett's hand, "makes all of us go crazy."

-

when they finally arrived home, jacob said his goodbyes to rosalie and emmett who crossed through the forest. he held ava in his arms and gently took her to her room.

he lay her down and gently shook her, "ava? wake up." he whispered. she opened her eyes, tired and stared at him, "gotta get dressed into your pyjamas."

she nodded and rubbed her eyes. she got up and silent starting getting dressed into her pyjamas, jacob minded his business to give her privacy.

when she was done, she went to the bathroom. she did her business and sleeply walked back to her bed. jacob smiled at her and she crawled into his arms.

"hi." she whispered, relaxing on him.

"are you not going back to sleep?" he asked her. without realising he began playing with her hair.

she shook her head, "not yet." she looked at him, "bella and edward apologised to me." she confessed. jacob looked at her in shock, "i know. bella said she wanted to be friends, and creepy edward said he was sorry for doing what you should have done." she shuddered at the thought of him.

jacob stayed silent and held his head in shame. he hated remembering how badly he hurt ava. he was going through a horrible time and instead of doing the mature thing of letting her go, he dragged her through the mess.

ava frowned, "jacob. don't." she said quietly. she tilted her head up by her index and middle finger, "don't feel bad please, everything's okay now. alright?" she smiled softly.

"do you forgive them?" he asked her.

"i don't know." she shrugged, "i didn't give it much thought today but i'll have to get back to them." the two stayed silent and she fiddled with her necklace.

"sam asked me to be alpha." jacob blurted. she looked at him in shock, too shocked to say anything. "do you plan on staying on the reservation forever?"

"wait, hold on. alpha?"

"that doesn't matter," he stared at her, "do you want to stay on the reservation forever?"

"no of course not. i want to travel the world. my dad left me a lot of money before he passed so i could travel. and i wanna go to university, i wanna learn. why?" it clicked, "jacob. you better not give down that alpha position for me." she frowned.

"ava. i don't care what you do, i will be with you forever which means if i have to give up the alpha position, i will give up the alpha position. for you."

"jacob don't be silly." her frown grew bigger, "don't say that. you and i will always have each other, we have all the time in the world to be together."

"but-"

"no, no buts." she put her hands on his cheeks. she pressed their foreheads together and stared into his brown eyes, "if you want the alpha position, take it. we will work through it, i promise. just take it. i'll stay here with you forever."

"ava i'm not going to take your dreams and plans away." he stared right back into her eyes, "you deserve to be happy."

"you're not. i'm happy when i'm with you. we have all the time in the world together jacob. i promise."

he sighed quietly, "would it possible if i took both?"

"what are you talking about?"

"paul wants to be alpha. so what if we come up with some co-alpha thing, that way i can be with you and him at the same time."

octavia hesitated, "do you think that's gonna work?" she was afraid that it wouldn't work.

he nodded, "that way you and i can do what we want and paul can take over in the future."

ava sighed, "don't make any rash decisions without telling me okay? i want a say in this too."

"aww, of course princess." he smiled, giving her a long kiss.

——

the story will be coming to an end soon and i just wanted to say thank you all for 9k and thank you for the support in my story