27: Boys

It's funny how one can experience a rollercoaster of emotions within twenty-four hours, or less even. They say we should start our day right—with bright smiles on our faces and a positive outlook—and for sure, it will end well. But that isn't always the case, because a mere second can change everything.

To: Asher
Hello, senior! This is Lilac of K4RMA, I got your number from Ki-Ryeong. I just want to greet you happy birthday! Enjoy your day :)

Lilac started the day full of courage. Once the text was sent, she immediately threw her phone down the bed before burying her face on her pillow and squealing. She felt so giddy! It's her first text to her long-time crush and she is actually waiting for this day—his birthday—so she has a reason to finally send him a message without being creepy.

Minutes after, she felt her phone vibrate, causing her to sit up breathlessly. She tried to regulate her heartbeat before picking up her phone, and reading his reply.

From: Asher

Hey Lilac! Is this really you? Whoa... I only used to hear about you from Seom and Jade! Thank you for the well wishes. Why don't you come with them tonight? I will celebrate my birthday in a rented villa, and we'll have a new year countdown too!

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed, standing up from the bed and running towards the kitchen where Seo-mi is busy preparing breakfast.

"What are you running for? You're not a kid anymore, Lilac," the eldest immediately reprimanded as she set a plate of bacon and eggs down the table.

The girl slept over her apartment before going home to her family for the new year. She actually invited her to spend the holidays with them like usual, but recently, she realized she can't always be their guest every year. She's thankful of course, but she's starting to feel like a bother.

Besides, her parents were initially planning to fly to Seoul to spend time with her, but she's the one who told them to accompany her grandparents instead, and organize a family reunion for them. That's why the pair will only arrive in South Korea on the third.

Jada, on the other hand, has been staying with her mom since Christmas while Reiko's been with her sister—who visited from Japan—since the twenty-nineth. So she was really ready to spend the new year alone... until this invitation came.

"You didn't tell me you're invited to Asher's birthday celebration," she took her usual seat in front of the dining table.

Seo-mi sat adjacent to her with an eyebrow raised, "so you finally texted him, huh?" She then playfully poked the youngest's waist, earning a protest from her.

"Seom!" Lilac uncontrollably laughed. "Can I come? He invited me!"

"We didn't tell you because we won't stay there for long. Jade and I are just going to drop by, greet Ash and some of our friends, and give the celebrant our presents. We'll leave after an hour tops."

"Then I will stay."

Seo-mi looked at her questioningly, "will your friends be there?"

"Ki-Ryeong will, he's a friend."

She watched as a shocked expression masked the leader's face. "When did you ever start considering him as a friend? You hated him, right? Did I miss something?"

"Come on, we've been on good terms lately! He's not that bad," she smiled.

There's still a hint of suspicion on Seo-mi's face but she chose to nod in the end. "Fine, you're old enough to handle yourself. Besides, your dearest Asher will be there so you will surely avoid doing something that will embarrass yourself."