44: Hour

The sound of the elevator almost made her jump. She blinked repeatedly and shook her head to clear her thoughts before entering the lift. It was only then did she take a deep breath to calm her fast-beating heart, still in disbelief that she almost died earlier... that was so close!

Can she consider this her second life then? It was the first time she felt strongly about that cliché quote; 'You only live once.' If what happened is not the world telling her to cherish her life more and make it worth it, then what other explanation could there be?

If Ki-Ryeong will only bring disappointments and regrets to her and break her peace, then does he still deserve to stay in her life? Is he worth it? She may have felt comfort when she's with him, she may have trusted him and... okay let's be real, she may love him, but how long will this last if he keeps acting this way whenever he's struggling?

If he can't completely open his heart to her, then what's the point of this whole relationship?

The elevator rang once again before the doors slid open. The empty hallway greeted her, and she wasted no time to go straight towards her boyfriend's unit.

"Exactly one hour and twenty-seven minutes, Li. You either leave this place single, or with your boyfriend in tow," she silently reminded herself, pressing the passcode she's already so familiar with.

Darkness and silence were the first things she noticed, making her frown. She instantly wondered if he is home, but as she walked further inside, faint voices reached her ears. She looked around to find the direction of the sounds, and realized they were coming from Kio's room.

She doesn't know why, but she suddenly felt nervous, like she's not supposed to be here and she's doing something completely wrong. She even tiptoed towards the bedroom's ajar door like a criminal. The voices grew clearer as she got closer, and when she finally recognized them, her heart nearly burst out of her chest.

"I'm giving you an hour," Kio pointedly said.

The other scoffed, "no, I should leave now. Something might happen to her." Wait... no, this is Ki-Ryeong. This sounded like him, too?

"Don't worry, I'm back in my original world so that won't happen. Say goodbye to her at least." But this is Kio, too? Huh?

She slowly moved forward to take a peek inside and hurriedly pulled back, covering her mouth with both her hands so the gasp she just let out won't be heard.

What the... actual fuck... is happening right now?!

She can't be mistaken, there are two of them! Two very identical Ki-Ryeong's... talking to each other! What is this?

"Where's yours?," Kio's voice echoed through the dark apartment again. Though this time, she had no idea which one of the two, and she's not planning to find out.

"I have long destroyed mine the moment I arrived in your world, that's why whatever I do there, no one's going to be affected. We need to break both hourglasses to permanently stay. You still have yours that's why you're in charge this time. You solely decide for the both of us now. Remember what I told you, though. I'll be back in an hour, looks like someone already arrived."

Footsteps followed the taunting statement—footsteps that are getting nearer, but she is too paralyzed to move. She stayed leaning against the wall beside the door, trying to catch her breath, until a figure finally came out of the room.

She gazed at him from his combat boots, up to his pair of black cargo pants, a white muscle tee and lastly... the all-too familiar face. But she knew this is not her boyfriend... not only because of the eyebrow and lip piercing, but also because of the evil smirk and the hateful glint in his eyes.