41: Tale

Ki-Ryeong woke up feeling well-rested. Though he's getting more sleep the past week, the one last night felt the most complete and satisfying. Maybe it's because of the warmth embraced in his arms who gave him the greatest comfort—the feeling of safety and assurance only Lilac is capable of giving him. But as he opened his eyes, he eventually noticed her absence.

He was about to leave the bed hurriedly, when her familiar silhouette greeted his eyes. Lilac's back is turned towards him, still clad in her silk pajamas. She's standing right in front of the floor-to-ceiling windows, overseeing almost the entirety of Beijing.

The sun hasn't risen yet, perhaps it's only around 4AM, so the city lights still illuminates her figure as she repeatedly sips from her cup. Knowing her, it's probably hot chocolate.

Without making any sound, he stood up and walked towards her. He removed his shirt in the middle of the night, too used to sleeping without it on, and he didn't bother wearing anything now.

She whirled around once he's only a foot away. "It's still too early, you should've slept more," she uttered, voice still a bit hoarse due to sleep.

"I should be the one telling you that," Kio countered, his arms going around her waist in a back hug. His girlfriend instantly leaned against his chest and laid her head on the crook of his neck.

"I've slept since noon till daybreak yesterday. That's why I woke up too early today, and can't go back to sleep anymore."

"Hmm," he kissed the exposed part of her shoulder up to her neck, as they started swaying to a soundless tempo. "Should we go on a date today?"

She stilled, prompting him to stop his movements too, and wait for her answer. "What about the media? The... fans? Everyone knows you're here, some of them might already be waiting outside. Should we just stay here, then?"

"Don't mind them. They already know, so what's the point of hiding? Of course, we won't go to crowded places, so you shouldn't worry too much. Do you want to go somewhere?"

He tilted his head and watched as her eyes travelled back to the majestic view in front. The sky is starting to brighten up, and most of the street lamps and public lighting is now off. All these reflects through her eyes, the pair somehow filled with an emotion he can't decipher.

"The beach. I want to see the sea. I heard there are many public beaches if we drive around an hour or two. It won't be crowded yet because it's still winter season, or we can just go somewhere far..." she drawled before a rueful smile bloomed on her face.

"Did something happen?," he finally decided voice out his concern.

"Nothing... I just felt sentimental all of a sudden. I don't know why."

His embrace tightened, "we'll go to the beach then. I'll cook breakfast and you can prepare, we can leave anytime."

"Thank you," she turned to him and kissed his cheek.

°.•⏳.°•

There are, indeed, a few beaches only around two hours away the capital—in a port city called Tianjin. He made sure to bunch Lilac up with layers of sweatshirt, coat and jacket, because like she said earlier, they're still in the middle of winter season. The girl was able to convince her manager—how, he has no clue—but Manager Hak even let them borrow one of the rented cars.

An hour and a half in the drive, they had to stop over in a gasoline station. Lilac decided to buy some snacks in the convenience store and visit the restroom, as well.