Chapter 014

Levi's POV

~*~

"Was your dad always an alcoholic?"

"No, he only used it to cope with my mother's disappearance..."

"Is she still alive?"

"...I'm sure of it...probably not, though...she struggles with drugs..."

"Do you have an idea on where she might be?"

"Yeah, maybe somewhere in Trost..."

"That's not too far from here."

"Yeah, but if dad ever found out I went, my head would be hanging in the living room..."

They chuckle nervously. I felt a pit grow in my stomach. They had it rough.

"What about Mr. Smith, isnt he like your secondary dad?"

"Yeah, but he'd get in trouble if he'd ever try taking me somewhere without my dads permission."

"Then I'll take you."

"Huh?"

"I'll take you. I'll help you search for your mother."

"Levi, we're high schoolers. How do you expect to even get there?"

"We're also seniors who can drive...~"

I pull out my keys and jingle them in front of Y/N's face.

"We could just drive there."

"You're out of your mind, Levi."

"Someone I know lives there. We can stay at their house while we search for your mom."

"You're kidding me?"

"Nope. Think of it as an early Christmas gift. Plus, I heard Trost was a pretty city in Autumn. We can carry Eren along, since he's a photographer. It'll be like a little road trip."

I see a small smile appear on their face as they start to brighten up, sitting up a little straighter.

"Sure...let's do it."

~*~

I get in drivers seat of my Cadillac and hear a gasp from behind me.

"How did you even pay for this...?"

"Hand-me-downs."

"Woah..."

I start the car and start driving to Eren's location. I couldn't help but feel nervous. He was spamming my phone, probably of terrible death threats. I don't blame him, I can't believe what had happened. I pull up to the concrete driveway, looking at the two story house. It was a bit modern, brick lining and the front was decorated with nice trees, which leaves were already the color of fall.  There were a bit of flowers that were pink and red and orange, a pallet of fire spreading across the green grass.  They kept their yard nice.

Y/N gets out of the car and rings on the doorbell, waiting for Eren to open up.  I'm guessing it wasn't him, because Y/N put on their stranger smile.  The smile they give to people they don't really talk to.  I roll down my window a bit, trying to here the ongoing conversation.

"Eren will be right down, do you want some tea? Water?"

"Ah no...I can't keep my friend waiting..."

"Friend?"

I see Y/N point to me who was peeking out the window.  I've been caught.  I slowly creep my head back into the car and roll up the window.  I cross my arms and I see Y/N giggling at me.  I wish I had rolled the window back down to hear their laugh.  It was adorable.

After a few minutes I see Y/N help the brown haired boy hurdle his stuff out of the house.  I'm guessing it was way too heavy for Eren since you could see his veins popping out.  Once they got to the front of the car, I see Eren squint to try and see me through the tinted window. I see his face turn into a scowl as he lets go of his things and opens the car door harshly.

"Watch out, I like this car."

"You truly are an asshole!! Why would yo-"

"Eren, this is unnecessary.  Let's just pack your bags in the car."

"Fine..."

He gets out and helps Y/N pack his things into the car.  I felt my heart well up with sadness and disappointment.  I wish Eren had grabbed me by my shirt and punched me.  I wish he beat me till I was in the hospital.  I'm such an asshole...

I bring out my phone and push the guilt aside, texting Petra.

~*~

Levi: Hey, I missed you.

Petra is typing...

Petra: I missed you too!! Finally you texted me! I thought you forgot about me!!

Levi: Never!! Anyways, I'm coming over to Trost with my friends, is it okay if we stay at your place?

Petra: Of course!! How many people?

Levi: Three.

Petra: I've only got two guest bedrooms here, is that okay?

Levi: Yeah, that's great.

Petra: Alright! I love you.❤️

Levi: Love you too ❤️

~*~

I no longer experience the joy I get when talking to Petra. And I no longer feel that increase of heartbeat whenever she says 'I love you'. I feel nothing. And I'm starting to believe that when I say 'I love you', it comes with no meaning.

"Who are you texting, you asshole? Your girlfriend?"

I look at eren and set my phone down, ignoring the question, being mindful of Y/N's feelings. I back out of the driveway and start the journey Trost.

~*~

We were about 4 hours into the drive and I hear Y/N let out a whine of hunger.

"Can we stop by McDonalds!!!"

"No."

"Why!?!?"

"Because we still have 2 more hours."

"I won't be able to hold out for that long!!"

"I'm kind of hungry, too."

I look over to Eren, who was giving me a straight face with hatred written all over it.  I gulp hard and sigh, pulling up the closest McDonald's on my phone and driving to the fast food restaurant.

~*~

We finally get to my girlfriends house, which is where we would be staying. A strong wave of nervousness rested a pit of fear in my stomach as I pull up into the cobblestone driveway.  I park the car and turn it off, taking a deep breath and preparing myself.  Why was I so nervous?  Was it because I hadn't seen her in a while, or because Y/N would be standing over my shoulder as she coos at me?

As I get out, I could see her exit the front door and head outside, getting a better look.

"Babe!! There you are!!!"

"Babe?"

I turn around to see Y/N mutter out what Petra had said.  Suddenly, I wished I never offered to take them.