sixty-three

"Hey."

Athena looked up from her phone at the sound of the soft voice from the door. Mariana leaned against the wall, her thumbs hooked in the belt loops of her jeans and a wan smile playing on her lips.

"Hi honey. Come in, sit down. Bobby's just grabbing breakfast from the cafeteria."

"Yeah, I bumped into him in the hall." Mariana sat in the chair next to the bed and scooted up so she could see Athena better. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired. Sore. But I'll be fine," the older woman said dismissively. Mariana huffed out a laugh and shook her head in exasperation.

"Yeah, now I see why everyone gets annoyed at me when I do it," she commented wryly. "How do you really feel?"

Athena sighed and she focused on the sheets of the cot instead of Mariana. "I'll be fine."

Mariana didn't press. She just reached out and squeezed Athena's hand. Athena clasped her other hand on top of Mariana's and she smiled at her in an attempt to hide the pain.

"You called me mom," Athena said to change the subject.

"Slip of the tongue." Mari's dark eyes glimmered with a hint of mischief.

"Oh, you and I both know that isn't true. It's an honor, Mariana."

"You won't be saying that when you have to actually parent her," Bobby announced as he entered the room. The two women laughed and Mariana rolled her eyes.

"I don't know what you two are talking about. I am a little angel who always listens to her parents."

///

"Summer camp?" Buck declared as he read the brochure.

"It's all he can talk about," Eddie sighed. "Some of the other kids from school are going. Its only two weeks."

"He'll be fine, mi amor," Mariana drawled out. "The camp has great opportunities, an experienced staff, and Carla recommends it."

"Time!" Eddie announced and Hen set her pencil down, pushing her practice exam towards Eddie.

"Woah, woah. Two weeks away from home?" Buck said. "Isn't Chris kinda young for that? I mean, what if something happens? What if he gets homesick?"

"I'm pretty sure I brought in the brochure so you guys could make me feel better about him going," Eddie stated. "Mari is team send him off."

"I want him to experience the stuff I never got to do." She stuck her tongue out at him.

"Clearly, you did not think that plan through to its logical conclusion," Chimney said.

"I started going to sleepaway camp when I was eight," Bobby assured the couple. "I loved it. Camp Weegeewagen." He finished his statement with a yodel and Mariana had to bite down on her lip to stop from laughing.

"Looked forward to it every year," he declared.

"Yeah, but Christopher's a city kid."

"So was I. St. Paul is a city."

"If you say so." Chimney shot Mariana an amused look as she snorted at Bobby's statement.

"C'mon, I've lived in much worse conditions and look at me, I'm fine," she announced. Everyone stared at her and she pouted. "Rude."

Buck kicked her shoe and she snatched the brochure out of his hands and used it to swat his arm as he tried to duck. Bobby reached over with his wooden spatula and smacked both of his kids on the shoulder to stop them.