sixteen

Three months. Mariana Ramirez was nearing three months of being off duty after being shot twice.

And, although she was very grateful for being alive, she was going a little stir crazy. She still volunteered at the soup kitchen and the group home, but having a completely free schedule otherwise was driving her insane. Bobby and Leslie both required her to be cleared once more by the doctor before she could go back so she just needed to last out another week until she would meet with Dr. Andrews.

So, she distracted herself. She read books and tried different cafes and went for runs in an attempt to calm her jittery nerves. Every time a truck or ambulance flew past with lights flashing and sirens wailing, Mariana's heart clenched. She wanted to be out there. Needed to be out there.

Apparently the people around her were starting to acknowledge her desire to get back to work because when a knock sounded on her apartment door at eight PM, Mariana was surprised to find three of her coworkers standing behind the door.

"You're not Thai food," she observed.

"Oh, perfect! Pregame," Anna declared as she shoved her way in with Travis and Crystal hot on her heels. They were all dressed in outfits that indicated they should be at the club, not standing in her apartment.

Unless...

"No," Mariana groaned. "I'm not going to the club."

"Tough," Anna commented as she entered the latina's bedroom and started pushing clothes back and forth in her closet. "We're going clubbing and you're coming with."

"I don't...that's not my scene!" Mariana protested.

"You can either come with us or you can sit here alone and eat your Thai food and play GTA 5 and watch reruns of Real Housewives like you have been for the past three months," Travis said.

Anna spun around, holding up a pair of heels and an outfit Mariana bought a while back as a "just in case". She never intended on wearing it, but it was on sale. Anna had been very persuasive that day. The little demon knew exactly what she had been looking for in the closet.

"Put these on while I plug in your curling iron," Anna instructed.

"I hate you all," Mariana grunted, shutting the bedroom door. Pulling off her leggings and ratty t-shirt which had been her daily outfit for months, the brunette grimaced at the sight of the skin tight outfit.

After strapping on her bra, she slid the thin tank top over her head and then the sheer mesh black top followed after. The tank top and top were tucked into the mid-thigh, sequin- covered gold skirt. Mariana paused and stared at herself in the mirror, her fingers ghosting over the puckered scar under her left clavicle. The neckline of the top didn't hide it and for a second, Mariana considered changing the top into a more covered option.

"It's a reminder that you're a fighter." Crystal's soft voice came from the door, causing Mariana to jump in surprise. The blonde chuckled out an apology but stepped closer to Mariana to stand behind her as they looked in the mirror. Crystal gently brushed the latina's hair off her shoulder and tapped her skin right next to the scar.

"Don't cover it. The world deserves to know that you're a fighter and better yet, a survivor."

"Thank you," Mariana whispered and shut her eyes as hot tears pressed against her lids.

"Hey, no crying. It'll make it harder for makeup. Now, c'mon. Anna's been planning this for weeks."

Twenty minutes later and Mariana barely recognized herself in the mirror. She wore makeup, sure, but she hadn't in months and she never wore this much. Anna had done a perfect smoky eye and red lip while Travis curled her hair in soft ringlets.