eighty-two

"Puffer's Paradise!"

The three paramedics groaned in unison as Buck held up the pink joint. Mariana threw her hands in the air and rolled her eyes. Too many people had come through her ER affected by the laced joints.

"You buy from them too!" one of the women exclaimed.

"No, but we've been treating quite a few of their customers," Hen sighed.

"Online dispensary that laces their synthetic product with superwarfarin," Mariana explained.

"Rat poison," Buck replied.

"Prolongs the high. Push fluids to support blood pressures. They'll need parenteral vitamin K and fresh-frozen plasma," Mariana ordered before she stood from where she was checking one of the women.

"Were you the only ones using it? We need to know if you gave some to anyone else," Bobby asked a woman.

"I-I gave some to Kate down the block for her anxiety," she answered. "Oh, and Mr. Carpenter for his bad back. Oh, and the nice lady on the corner for her arthritis!"

"Give me a break," Mariana muttered.

"Eddie, Buck, Mari, start knocking on doors. See if any of the neighbors are experiencing symptoms."

Eddie stood to join his wife when the woman he was helping smacked his ass. With as much restraint she possessed in her body, Mariana marched over to the woman and yanked her up not so gently.

"Get in the fucking bus," she bit out. "If you weren't high and I wasn't on duty, I would rock your shit. You don't touch people like that without consent and you especially don't touch my husband like that."

She spun on her heel and stalked back over to Buck and Eddie. Nudging her shoulder, Buck shot her an amused look. "You've been a little testy today."

"Shut up."

///

Mari grinned and leaned against the firm chest behind her. Eddie pressed a kiss to her shoulder as he finished off her braid and snapped a ponytail holder around the end of her hair. She turned around to kiss him once more before pulling out of his arms. He rolled his eyes and grabbed her waist, leaning in for another kiss as she laughed.

"C'mon, Uncle Eddie!" Diego shouted from the living room. The two adults groaned and Mariana pulled away once more. As the weather began to warm up in Los Angeles and spring approached, Mariana had mentioned that she wanted to start working on the front yard. Christopher lit up at the idea of helping her in the garden like he did at Abuelas and that sealed the deal. Diego was just excited to go to Lowe's with Eddie.

Those two could honestly spend a whole day looking at home improvement and DIY projects for the future.

"Go. Before he tries to drive the truck himself," she ordered. Eddie headed out for the hall before doubling back, pulling her into his chest and kissing her sweetly once more. Mariana grinned against his lips and rolled her eyes but definitely didn't fight it.

"Ewww, they're kissing!" Diego whined.

"Adults are gross," Christopher replied sagely. The couple broke apart with laughs and finally headed out to start on their errands. Mariana and Christopher would work on readying the soil while Eddie and Diego were in charge of acquiring the plants.

The weather was perfect for being outside, but Mariana still made sure Christopher was covered head to toe in sunscreen before she let him outside. With the sounds of Fleetwood Mac playing in the background, the two got to work turning over the soil and removing weeds. Christopher loved hanging out with his stepmom, especially when it was just the two of them.