twenty two

"Another day, another injury, another instance of job security," Mari sang to herself as she climbed into the truck. Bobby shot her an unamused look and she innocently blinked up at him, pretending like she hadn't said a word.

"Can I ask a favor of you and Buck?" he asked as she pulled out of the garage.

"I am not a representative of Mr. Buckley and therefore cannot speak for him," she replied dryly.

"Can you two not corrupt Eddie? I have enough paperwork from you two and I would like to enjoy date nights with Athena that doesn't involve having to go to the hospital."

Buck let out an indignant "hey!" from the back as Eddie snorted out a laugh. Mariana's smirked and shrugged.

"Don't know. What's in it for me?"

"Your job?"

"Hmmm, kinda weak. I'd expect better from you."

She sent him a mischievous grin as she pulled the fire truck into the parking lot and flipped off the siren. Bobby rolled his eyes and hopped out of the truck, calling out for everyone to clear a path for the team to get through.

"Eddie," Mari called and he appeared at her side, her paramedic bag held in his hand. She glanced down at it and then back up at him and he merely shrugged. Within a few calls he had already become an integral member of the Buckley-Ramirez terror squad. He was the levelheaded one of the bunch and that was saying something considering her didn't hesitate to jump into pools with Buck or pull risky rescues with Mariana. Grabbing her bag, they headed over to the woman who was lying on the ground.

"Do any of you maybe have a pen? I've got a partial license plate. Somebody should write it down," the woman groaned.

"Don't worry about the license plate, ma'am. It's right here on the back of the car," Eddie reassured her as he handed Mari her stethoscope and grabbed his own. The brunette started to check her pelvis for fractures as the woman continued to speak.

"Not this car. The car that hit me!"

"Wait, this isn't the car that hit you?" Buck asked.

"No, this is the car that ran me over! It better be insured."

"Let's focus on getting you out of here first."

Mari moved to check her head as Eddie focused on figuring out how to safely move her out from under the car. The second she looked at the woman's face, the brunette paused and narrowed her eyes, studying her.

"Can you tell me your name?" Mariana asked.

"Lorraine," she whined out.

Hen and Chimney joined them and hesitated as well. "Don't we know you?"

"Uh, no. I don't-I don't think so," Lorrained stammered out.

"Last year, Hancock Park."

"That's right, I never forget a femur," Chimney exclaimed.

"You forgot mine," Mariana pointed out and Chimney shot her an unamused look.

"It's the damn porch pirate," Athena announced.

"And a frequent flyer in the ER. Hi Lorraine, I've missed you. How's that bad back?"

///

With her ponytail bouncing with every step, Mariana bounded around the front of the truck just in time to see the gaudy protester signs. She let out a low groan and rolled her eyes as she took the gloves Buck offered her and slid them on.

"Now it's a party," she muttered as they entered the funeral gates.

"We got a colostomy bag!" Bobby called. "Probably backing up we're going to have to intubate him."