eighty-one

"What the hell happened?" Mari asked as she looked around the burger shop. The glass windows were shattered in the front of the store. She joined Athena who was talking to the guy who threw the initial chair.

"Make it make sense, Jim," Athena demanded.

"It's Larry!" he exclaimed.

"Ok, Larry. Now tell me why you did this."

"The fire chief of the LAFD called and told me we had a gas leak and that the whole place could go up! He told me to break all the windows to let the gas out. I just did what he told me! He said he was the fire chief," Larry explained.

"He give you a name?" Athena asked.

"He sounded very official," he insisted.

Mariana rolled her eyes. "I'll be sure to write that in the report."

"Did you even ask any questions?!"

"All clear, no gas leak." Bobby and Buck joined the two women. "However, the gas is gonna remain shut down until further investigation."

"I'm gonna get canned. Twenty years of customer service up in smoke or gas."

"Actually, there wasn't any of either, Jim."

"Actually, there wasn't any of either, Jim," Buck added.

"It's still Larry!"

Athena and Mariana turned to Buck and Bobby. "Caller said he was a fire chief."

"Someone else pretending to be LAFD?" Bobby asked.

"What do you mean, someone else?" Mari retorted. "What's going on?"

Bobby looked over their heads and his eyebrows raised in surprise. "Maybe the same someone."

They all turned to see a tall man in the back of the crowd. Once he noticed the attention focused on him, he started to turn in preparation to bolt. Mariana wasn't a judge, but she would say that's a sign of guilt.

"Hey! I got him, Cap!" Buck yelled. "Hey!" The ever faithful golden retriever sprinted after the guy. They could hear him shouting as he rounded the building and Athena looked to her daughter.

"I only run once a day and my quota is filled," Mari said dryly. The sound of the truck revving caused her to immediately straighten up and head towards where she parked the engine. As they turned the corner, the truck drove past them as Buck tried to open the door to no avail.

"Mari!" Athena called. The brunette was already stripping off her turnout coat and handing it to Bobby. She raised her hand and easily caught the keys that Athena tossed to her. The older woman climbed into the passenger seat as Mariana hopped into the driver's seat.

"How fast can I go?" she asked.

"Consider this is an encore from retirement," Athena ordered.

Mariana made sure to buckle before she pulled the gear shift into drive and pressed down on the gas. The biggest issue for her wouldn't be catching up to the truck, it would be stopping the two ton engine with the smaller vehicle she was driving.

"Dispatch, please inform all units that Boulevard Babe has emerged from retirement and is aiding the LAPD in 727-L-30."

"All units be advised. Boulevard Babe is on scene. Steer clear of 727-L-30. Do not engage."

A small smile quirked up on the brunette's lips as she turned the corner of the street, the wheel sliding under her fingers and spinning as she drifted the car onto the next street. Her hand easily slid the gear shift into D3 and she slammed down on the gas. Her dark eyes darted back and forth rapidly across the street, spying movement from pedestrians and other cars. The nose of the patrol car pulled just ahead of the back of the truck when she had to fall back to avoid hitting a car.