fifty

"You look different," Hen accused as Mariana started to back the truck into the station. The younger woman blinked in surprise at her friend's statement.

"Different like how?" she drawled out as her eyes watched Bobby in the rearview mirror to ensure she kept the truck lined up with his hands.

"You're glowing."

"Must be this new face wash I got," Mariana hummed as she pulled the truck to a stop, turning her head to shoot a glare at her boyfriend who was trying his hardest not to laugh in the backseat. She grimaced a bit as she hopped out of the truck and onto the apparatus bay floor, cursing at the soreness in her hips.

"We're good!" Bobby called.

"Yes! Yes, you are Captain. Merry Christmas," Athena called from the loft.

"Athena, what are you doing here?" he shouted back at his wife, a grin stretching across his face.

"We came to save you. Someone said you were ordering takeout for Christmas dinner."

"I did vote for turkey," Buck laughed.

"Did she say we?" Eddie asked as they followed Bobby to the stairs. They rounded the top of the stairs to find family standing there, cheering out a great "Merry Christmas!"

Mariana pressed closer to Eddie to give Denny more room to barrel into his mom's arms. Hen scooped him up in a tight hug and the joy was practically infectious. The couple grinned at each other as they moved past until a small cheer caught Mariana's attention.

"Pollito!" she gasped and Eddie pulled his son into a hug, lifting him up so Mariana could wrap her arms around the two of them. "Oh, best Christmas gift ever."

She pulled away from her boys to give Abuela a gentle hug. "Thank you and Merry Christmas."

"Feliz Navidad, Mariana. You have brought such a light to the boys."

"And they have brought a light to my heart," Mariana assured her.

Someone called her name and she looked up, finding Brittany from the group home she volunteered at standing over by the arcade games. Mariana glanced back at Eddie who shot her an easygoing grin.

"Go," he mouthed and she broke into a huge smile, hugging Abuela once more before she jogged over to the kids.

"Hey guys! What are you guys doing here?!" she exclaimed. She scooped up one of the kids, Emilio, and swung him around as he laughed brightly.

///

Dinner was full of laughter, jokes, and teasing especially from the Buckley and Ramirez clan. Maddie and Mariana teamed up against Buck who took it all in stride. Bobby didn't fail to notice his daughter's attentive behavior towards Christopher who was seated in between Eddie and Mariana. The brunette didn't even hesitate to cut up his ham, pour gravy for him, and teasingly dab his cheeks with a napkin as Eddie watched them with gentle eyes.

The sound of the door clanged shut from downstairs and Buck, Bobby, and Eddie shared a look. Buck had let slip some of the surprise to the two other men because Eddie had mentioned something Mariana told him days before.

Eddie tapped her shoulder and gestured with his head for her to follow him. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously and he responded by rolling his eyes and gesturing again. She sighed and pushed away from the table, telling everyone that "trouble awaits" which got a few chuckles around the table. He led her to the stairs and grabbed a wrapped present that looked awfully suspicious like the one she wrapped for...

"Diego," she breathed, staring at the sight of her aunt and nephew standing next to a truck.

"I told Buck that you got him a gift but didn't know what to do with it. We talked to Bobby and he found Valentina's contact information for us."

She grasped the gift with shaking hands and nodded mutely, slowly descending down the stairs. Valentina stiffened at the sight of her niece but the young boy standing next to her brightened.

"Tití Ana!" Diego cried, running towards her. Mariana dropped to her knees and caught the eight year old in her arms.

"Mi conejito," she sobbed, pressing her tear stained cheek against his messy raven black hair. "I'm so sorry I haven't seen you in so long."

"I miss you, tití," he mumbled.

"I know. I miss you too. I'm sorry."

Eddie leaned against the railing and watched them interact as Buck and Bobby joined him. They all kept a close eye on Valentina, but paid attention to the two Ramirez's as well. Diego lit up at his new toy and hugged Mariana once more when Valentina stepped forward.

"We need to head out, Diego," the older woman commented. "We have a few more stops to go to."

"Will you come hang out with me again, Ana?" he asked quietly.

She pushed his messy hair out of his eyes, her heart aching at how similar he looked like Luis, and sighed. "That's up to Valentina."

"I think we can workout some times."

Mariana smiled and hugged Diego once more before standing. "Thank you."

Valentina nodded in return and held her hand out for Diego to take. The brunette watched as they left the firehouse and then turned and walked back towards the loft. Buck barely had time to open his mouth before she slammed into him, her arms wrapping around him tightly.

"Thank you. For this. For everything. Thank you for being here," she whispered.

"Thank you for giving me another sister," he chuckled.

Mariana pulled away and threw her arms around Bobby, hugging her dad. She then moved onto Eddie, tucking herself into his side. He squeezed a hand on her hip and kissed her cheek.

"Happy?"

"Very," she sighed. Her eyes trailed over the three men around her and the table full of her family. "I don't think I've ever been this happy in a long time."