sixty-nine

"LAFD," Bobby announced after he rang the doorbell. A chime sounded from the door and Mariana squinted up at the camera.

"Dispatch said the patient was unconscious," Buck pointed out.

"And they also said it was a smart home."

The door swung open and a robotic voice greeted them. "Welcome, Los Angeles Fire Department."

"Am I the only one really creeped out right now?" Hen muttered.

"No," the entire team intoned.

"You all saw that Disney movie, right?" Mariana hissed as they entered the house.

"Also no."

Bobby led them into the house and the robotic voice directed them towards the bathroom where the owner of the house was unconscious, bright pink and bleeding from the head. Mariana glanced up at the shower and grimaced at the thought of being burned by your water thanks to some smart home.

"Mari, we're going to need the burn kit," Chimney announced. She nodded and headed back out to the truck to grab the bag and meet the boys with the gurney.

"Now, who would want to live like this?" Eddie asked. Mari caught up to them and dropped the burn bag on the gurney, falling in line with him as he and Buck directed the gurney towards the house.

"Cameras and microphones everywhere, not knowing who's watching or listening," he continued.

"I hate to break it to you, Eddie, but if you got a computer or smartphone, smart TV, or smart anything, really, than anyone can spy on you," Buck announced.

"Oh, don't tell him that. He's gonna get paranoid," Mariana whined.

"Now I'm thinking I shouldn't buy that fancy smart coffeemake I keep seeing commercials for," Eddie sighed as they entered the house.

"Hello Eddie," HILDY greeted. A panel on the wall displayed a not-so-charming photo of him and Mariana had to physically turn away so he wouldn't see her laugh. "Here are some popular coffee makers. Would you like to hear the reviews?"

"Welcome to the future," Buck whispered with glee.

A panicked look washed over Eddie's face and he looked to Mariana for support but she was too busy laughing with Buck. "Why does it sound terrifying to me?"

"No, no. What deals can she get us?"

"Please, I love you. Don't ask her any more questions."

///

"C'mon Buck!" Christopher shouted over the video game. "I'm beating you!"

"You're cheating," Buck accused.

"Or maybe you just suck," Mariana hummed as she flipped to the next page of her book. Her nephew was curled up into her side, watching the screen in awe. "Diego had you KO'd in less than a minute."

She looked up from the magazine in time to see Eddie snatch the last remote off of the coffee table and drop it onto the kitchen table. Slowly, she put her bookmark in and shut the book as she waited for Eddie to make another pass at rounding up all the technology.

"Hey, you two really need to talk to your kids about playing...fair," Buck trailed off as Eddie unplugged the TV. "Or you could just do that."

"Dad! I was beating him!" Chris exclaimed.

"Well, we're taking a little break from the Internet right now," Eddie announced.

"Says who?" Mariana drawled. "Because I thought this was a relationship, not a dictatorship."