twenty-five

"Alright everybody, gear up. Hen, Chimney, grab the winch and the guidelines and the basket just in case. I'm gonna radio aero recon and have them on standby," Bobby ordered. Mariana, Eddie, and Buck were all gearing up to repel down the side of the cliff. She reached into her bag and paused, spinning on her heel when she realized she couldn't find her harness.

"I gotcha," Buck called, tossing her the harness. "Other shift must have put both into my bag."

"This is why we check gear guys!" she sang, sliding the straps over her body and clipping them together. Eddie handed her one of the rope ends and they worked together to secure the line for them to lead down.

By the time Hen and Chimney had everything ready for a basket, Mari and Eddie had secured the drop lines. Buck descended first with Mariana and Eddie close behind. Buck was pointman and they eyes and ears for them so he called out where to step and when to jump. Getting down to the ledge was easy enough but there was no evidence of a victim anywhere.

"You guys see anything down there?" Bobby asked over the radio.

"Just a million dollar view," Buck replied.

"I will shove you off this rock," Mariana groaned at his cheesy line.

"Cap, we found something," Eddie announced. Mariana stepped over from where she was standing to his side to be able to see what he was looking at. The sight of the skeleton made her startle and stumble back. Eddie caught her quickly, one hand pressed firmly against her back.

"You okay?" he asked. She mutely nodded and then glanced back down at the remains.

"Just wasn't expecting that," she muttered.

"Is it our hiker?" Bobby came over the radio.

"A hiker. Don't think it's the one we came looking for. It's human remains. Skeletal remains."

"Alright, flag it but don't disturb it. We'll call it in."

"Unless..." Buck whispered, holding up the hiker's phone. Mariana and Eddie both shot him an unamused look.

"What? You think a ghost called 911?" Eddie scoffed.

"I'm just saying..."

"I hate you," Mariana groaned.

Before they could descend into a full arguing match, someone cried for help farther off.

"Ok, so no ghost."

Mariana was the first to find the injured hiker and she waved the boys over, kneeling down so she could get a better look at his injuries.

"We got a live one Cap. Can you tell me your name, hon?"

"I-Ian," the man gasped out.

"Alright Ian we're going to get you out of here, okay?" Eddie assured him

"My leg is broken."

"Yeah, that's a compound fracture but a simple surgery and some PT and you'll be right as rain."

"How'd you find me?"

"Wasn't easy," Buck admitted. "You weren't on long enough for them to ping your phone."

"On with who?"

"...with 911."

"I dropped my phone when I went over. I didn't call 911."

The three shared an equally confused glance before Mariana slowly looked back to where they found the remains and then back at Buck.

"Coincidence. That's all," she argued.