sixty-six

Mariana was lucky if she got one or two hours of sleep. Her body felt like it was weighed down by lead as she pulled herself out of bed. She quickly turned off the alarm and peeked over to make sure Eddie was still asleep before she went to go change. The boys wouldn't be up for another hour so she just wrote a note and left it on her pillow for Eddie to see in the morning and headed out.

The key to Valentina's house burned a hole in her pocket. Tyler had given it to her when he informed her that Valentina had put the house in her possession. Mariana honestly thought it was a cruel joke because now she had to stand in the last place she wanted to be.

The door swung open to reveal the ghost of her memories. This was the second time she had stepped into it in a decade and it never got easier. Her steps faltered at the edge of the stairs and Mariana stared up at the balcony that overlooked the foyer.

Diego's room could wait.

She started in the office. Her hope was to sell most items or donate them if she knew places that needed it. Setting up her laptop on the desk, Mariana started cataloguing books and posting them on sales websites. She fell into a good rhythm and was halfway through one of the bookshelves when a knock on the door knocked her out of her thoughts. The book in her hand slipped out and crashed against the table, causing Mariana to jump back and curl in on herself, instinctively raising her arm over her face.

"Fuck," she muttered once she caught her breath. Whoever it was knocked again and she straightened herself up, heading for the door. Eddie looked up from his phone when the door opened and she paused, surprised by his appearance.

"Oh. Hi. Are you... shouldn't you be with the boys?" she stammered out.

"Buck's with them." He stuffed his hands in his jacket pockets and rocked back on his heels, "Can I come in?"

"Of course." She held the door open and he stepped inside, taking off his jacket and hanging it on the coat rack as she shut the door.

"I don't...why are you here?" she asked quietly.

"Tyler called me because you weren't picking up your phone. Again. Daniel has called off the retrial and his lawyer has agreed to not pursue anything further."

Mariana couldn't stop the pleased smile from tugging at her lips. "Good. That's really good."

"What did you do? Did you give him something? Money?"

Mariana started walking towards the kitchen and he followed as she spoke. "Do you want anything to drink? I think Valentina has some coffee and I don't know if you got some already bu-"

"Stop deflecting. I don't know how many times I have to tell you that I am in this 100% but I just need you to talk to me."

Mariana stopped, her eyes scanning the kitchen before she entered. He could see how her eyes darted back and forth, how her shoulders tensed, and how she flinched when a lawn mower started somewhere up the street. She pressed on, however, and continued into the kitchen.

"Did you sleep at all last night?"

"Of course!" Her attempt at a perky voice fell flat and she sighed, grabbing the edge of the kitchen sink. "If you're here to yell at me again, now really isn't the best time. I'm sorry for what I said. I hate myself for even thinking it."

"If you want me to leave, just tell me."

"Please." The word fell from her lips like a prayer uttered by a desperate woman. "Don't."

"Then talk to me. I wasn't the best husband for Shannon because when she asked for help, I didn't listen. And I can't fix those mistakes but I can try to not make them with you. But I don't know what to do or say if you don't speak to me."