twenty-three

"Maybe we pop the hinges off the door..."

"Or we use the jaws of life."

"What are you two idiots doing?" Marina called, hefting the box in her hands up higher so it wouldn't slip.

"Nonono! It has to fit, I measured it twice. Can't you guys just, y'know, turn it around the other way?" Maddie exclaimed. Mariana slid past them and into the apartment, making her way to the kitchen so she could set down the box Maddie asked her to grab from the mailroom. She reappeared in the living room just in time to see Buck and Eddie lowering the sofa down onto the floor.

"Thank you guys for helping me on your day off," Maddie said.

"Don't worry 'bout it. Plates?" Eddie grabbed the pizza from her hands.

"Countertop. Kitchen."

"Beer?" Chimney asked.

"Also the kitchen. Fridge!"

"Clever."

Maddie turned to Buck and Mariana, pointing towards the kitchen. "He is so cute."

"Yeah, he gets that a lot. You should meet his kid though," Buck replied.

"Wait, Chimney has a kid?"

Mariana repressed her urge to laugh and headed into the kitchen with Maddie as Buck stammered out an answer. The two women shared a knowing look as they broke off in the kitchen, Mari heading for the pizza. Eddie wordlessly passed her a bottle of water and she handed him a plate with a few slices of pizza on it. He slid past her at the counter and headed for Maddie's table where she and Chimney were already sitting while Mariana grabbed her own pizza.

"Mari, what are you even doing here? We're doing all the heavy lifting," Chimney teased as she sat down.

"I'm supervising. Gotta make sure you guys don't ruin Maddie's new place."

The boys booed while Maddie laughed. Buck slid in between his two sisters and grinned. "I kinda like having them both around."

"Because they both tease you mercilessly?" Chimney pointed out.

"No! Because they can make fun of you two better than I can."

///

"Shit!" Mariana yelped as debris slammed into the truck door right above her head. She threw her helmet on and gestured for Athena to come to her. Mari placed herself between the wind and Athena, willing to take the hit thanks to her heavy turnout coat. Bobby helped them get to the safety of the other side of the truck where Mari fell in between her boys, fumbling with the clasps of her coat.

"When the pilot radioed, they were having mechanical troubles. Looks like he tried to put it down in the field over there," Athena yelled over the din of the helicopter whirring.

"Yeah, he got close!" Bobby shouted.

"Not close enough! Get down people, move!"

"Alright guys we're gonna fan out behind those bleachers. Eddie, once we get the people out do you think you can kill that engine?"

"Think so, I'm just worried about the dynamic rollover."

"Dynamic rollover?" Buck asked.

"We change the weight ratio while we pull people out, the whole thing could tip over and rotors would snap off."

"And then flying rocks will be the least of our problems."

"Alright, visors down!" Bobby ordered. "Let's go!"