seventy-five

Helena opened the top of the box and pulled out a scrapbook, handing it to a grinning Buck. Eddie groaned from his spot next to Mariana on the couch and ran a hand over his face. His wife snickered and leaned into her brother to see the photos.

"Oh, that's Eddie when we first brought him home from the hospital," Helena gushed. Mariana grinned up at her husband, a bright sparkle in her eyes. He knew the second his mom grabbed the box that he would never hear the end of it.

"You were kind of an ugly baby," Buck commented. Mariana smacked his shoulder and rolled her eyes.

"You were adorable," she declared, flipping the page.

"You have to say that," Buck complained. "You're married to him."

"Well there's a reason for that, Buckley," she drawled out. Eddie squeezed her hip and she smiled up at him, her brown eyes warm. Instinctively, he reached up to brush her hair out of her eyes. Mariana's face warmed at his affectionate action in front of others and she ducked her head. His hand slid down her back, coming to rest on the small of her back.

"I've never seen any of your baby photos," he said.

"Yeah, I haven't...looked at my parent's stuff since I was nineteen, I think."

He nodded in understanding. "Whenever you're ready."

Hen reached into the box and pulled something out, a curious look written on her face. She raised an eyebrow and flipped the paper over to display it for everyone. It was some shoddy graphic design work depicting a silhouette of a woman leaning against a muscle car.

"Hell, I forgot about that," Eddie laughed out. "My cousin was teasing me since I didn't have a girl to brag about at basic so he convinced Pepa to take him to a car show in LA and he got me an autograph by some girl he said was the hottest girl he had ever seen. I hung it up in my bunk to get the guys off my back and it actually worked."

"Eddie, can't wait till you come home. XO, Boulevard Babe," Hen read aloud, her words dissolving into laughter at the end. "You're kidding me."

"Hey, I never met this famous Boulevard Babe," Eddie exclaimed. Buck nudged his sister who was staring at the flyer with an unreadable expression.

"Oh, don't tell me you're jealous," Buck crowed. Mariana shot him a withering glare but her lips quirked up in a small smile.

"Like Eddie said, he never met this girl so what do I have to be jealous about?" she scoffed. Buck rolled his eyes at her and waved the flyer in her face.

"Sure, keep telling yourself that."

The garage door opened and everyone quieted down as Ramon entered. He cast a glance at everyone seated on the couch, his eyes falling on Mariana tucked neatly into his son's side. With a huff, he disappeared down the hall. Helena sighed and checked the time before offering them a tense smile.

"I should head off to bed. We'll have breakfast ready before you guys leave tomorrow morning," she reminded them.

"Thank you mom," Eddie said, pulling away from Mari and standing up so he could hug his mom. She knew his thanks had a deeper meaning than just letting them stay the night and feeding them. He was thanking her for making an effort.

"The guest bedroom is set up and Eddie can show you around," Helena said. Mariana stood and gave her a quick and grateful hug. Her mother-in-law pulled back and placed her hands on the younger woman's shoulders.

"I will talk to Ramon. I promise."

"I know you will. I can handle it regardless."

Mari insisted that Hen take the bed since she was still recovering from the helicopter crash. Buck eyed the couch with disdain and Eddie assured him that he could have the air mattress that was set up on the floor of the guest room. Mariana and Eddie would take the couches.