twelve

A/N: my mental health was meh today and I love seeing all of your reactions to the story so I decided to double update again...enjoy :)

It was a standard call. A traffic accident involving a motorcycle and a truck. Mariana hated motorcycles so much so that she called them donorcycles in the ER. So when she hopped out of the truck with Bobby and saw the pale faces of the cops and bystanders, Mariana should have known that it wasn't routine.

"Where's the captain?" Athena called over the din of the crowd.

Mariana turned, seeing the man laying on the ground with a towel covering where his legs were supposed to be. He had been completely cut in half.

"Not much we can do for him," Athena continued to say. "Speed of impact tore him clean in two. He's lost a lot of blood. I don't know how he's made it this long."

"It's a field hemicorporectomy." Mariana felt herself say the words but the ringing in her ears drowned out the noise. She slowly approached the man and kneeled down by his head, trying to maintain her composure.

"Hi, I'm Mari. I'm the paramedic that's going to treat you today." The words fell flat. She needed to hide her tone, especially with Bobby coming to join them.

"So stupid," the man muttered. "What time is it? I have to get home. Meg's gonna lose it. She's gonna frickin' lose it. Ethan's probably still outside."

"Who's Ethan?" Bobby asked.

"My son. He's on the porch, he's waiting for me, he's...outside, waiting for me. I told him to so he could see me come home. How long before you guys have me out of here? I'm so frickin' late."

Mariana shut her eyes before she plastered on a fake smile and opened them. "Your comfort is our priority, sir. Just take deep breaths, okay? Stay still and relax."

His phone began to buzz and Bobby and Mariana exchanged a glance. Bobby pulled the man's phone out of his pocket and answered, holding it up to his ear.

"We're going to help your mom and dad as best as we can. Now, I need you to hold on tight, okay? I need to make sure you're alright."

"Hey. Hey buddy," the man gasped out. "Hey pal. Yeah, I know. I'm sorry buddy. I'm late, I know, I'm trying. I'm try- yeah, I got it. I got it, like we said. Ninety six Twin Cam engine, yeah."

"Mrs. Ramirez, I'm sorry for your loss."

"1,560 CCs, cherry red, oh it's bad."

"What? What do you mean? He's fine. Antonio's fine!"

"Just like the one we saw online."

"Ma'am, the dashboard crushed his legs and severed an artery. He bled out before we could save him. I'm so sorry."

"Oh, it cooks, buddy."

"No! No, he can't be dead. He can't be! I can't do this alone. I can't. I-I...no, dear God no."

"I was hauling up Alameda like a badass. Yeah, like a real Hell's Angel."

"My papi is dead."

"Your old dad was like a new man, buddy. I'm telling you."

"You're a little too smart for your age."

"And don't tell mom but this thing is a chick magnet."

"Papi called me his angelic little terror."

"I was on top of the world, pal, but let me tell you something: I would have felt just as good if I was on a ten-speed bike, 'cause I knew I was coming home to you."