fifty-three

"Here, buddy, let me go see if I can save your clothes. Carla's making you a snack right now," Mariana said as she passed Christopher. She dropped a kiss on top of his head and smoothed his hair down. "You were so brave for me and now you're all fixed!"

    He poked at his Power Rangers bandaids and grimaced. Christopher rested his head on his arms with an annoyed huff and Mariana sighed, heading into the kitchen so she could get to the washing machine in the pantry.

    "-preciate that, Principal Summers," Eddie said on the phone. "Okay. Thank you."

    "So should I expect some kid's head on a spike at tomorrow's drop-off?" Carla asked.

    "They sent skateboard kid home early. Principal's gonna meet with the parents in the morning, figure out what the punishment should be," he explained.

    "What about the kid who fell off the skateboard?"

    "Think I should punish Christopher for getting hurt?"

    "No, but I think you should talk to him about how he got hurt."

    "I agree," Mariana added as she tossed the bundle of clothes in her hand onto the washing machine before she turned back to face them. "He wants to be just like every other kid, Eddie, but-"

    "You want me to tell him he's different?"

    "He already knows that," Carla placated. "You need to teach him what it means. That he has limitations."

    Eddie stared at the counter for a beat and then shook his head. "I'm not gonna tell my kid that." He left the kitchen, leaving the two women behind to share the same unamused look. Mariana followed her boyfriend out of the kitchen and leaned against the doorframe to watch them.

    "Hey buddy, how you feelin'?" Eddie asked.

    "Dumb."

    "What? What are you talking about?"

    "Everybody saw me fall."

    "C'mon Chris, I fall all the time. Ask dad, I fell at work yesterday when I tripped on a hose," Mariana reassured him. "People fall. It happens. Nothing to be embarrassed about."

    "That boy should have never pressured you into getting on that skateboard," Eddie affirmed.

    "It was my idea," Christopher protested.

    Eddie glanced up at his girlfriend and Carla who both flashed him an amused look.

    "It was your idea to get on the skateboard?"

    "It looked fun! It wasn't."

    "Chris, why would you do that? You had to know it'd be dangerous."

    "You always said I could do anything. You lied."

    Mariana could see the hurt in Eddie's eyes at his son's statement. Her eyes flickered over to Carla who gave her a pointed look. Mariana calmly approached the table and crouched down next to Christopher's seat.

    "Hey buddy, just because you're missing school doesn't mean you get to miss homework. Why don't you go start on it in your room? Carla will help."

    He nodded and slowly pulled himself out of his seat and over to Carla who grabbed his backpack. Once Mariana heard his bedroom door shut, she let out a deep breath and sat down in the chair Christopher previously occupied.

    "Eddie, he didn't mean it. He's a kid," she said gently. "I said it to plenty of adults."

    "It sounded like he meant it," he bit out acerbically.